Button quail pointers anyone?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by team edward, Feb 4, 2011.

1. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    Hi all! I am planning on raising button quail. Who has any tips on raising them? [​IMG] thanks!

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

be aware that they are monogamous and territorial so they need to be kept in PAIRS NOT in groups.The chicks mature super fast. One day they are TINY and then the next thing you know they need to be seperated so you will have to have your cages set up accordingly. They also come from semi tropical temperatures so are not outdoor birds...ALSO...they make reaaallllly strange ,silly sounds.LOL

3. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Pairs is a great tip! Feeding them high protein foods and not just chicken scratch. Keep them away from drafts. Ask lots of questions if you have them cause someone will always be willing to help [​IMG]

4. thatchickenlady

thatchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    New York
    I keep most of my breeder buttons in pairs in individual cages. I start my chicks on game bird starter crumbles (28-30% protein) which are put through a blender so it can be eaten easily by the chicks, as the chicks are really tiny as you know:)

5. kahlertm

kahlertm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    There is another forum as well BQ411 that is devoted to education on them. A book, "A Closer Look At Button Quail"....wonderul read, even goes into ancient incubation practices of the egyptians, which would actually probably relate more to the history of other quail like Coturnix. So a good read all around.

Hey, I am team Edward too by the way.[​IMG] I thought I was reigning queen of it till now...Hadn't used it as a forum tagname.[​IMG] Ya got me beat.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:No offense, but I was a member of the 'forum' (it's actually a yahoo group). I left that group because most of the 'information' on there was complaining and BS-ing about day-to-day stuff. I didn't find anything on there that I couldn't find on here or by doing a google search.

7. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    Thank you! So just to make sure, * I want everything to be perfect for the lil guys!* Its ok to put their food in a blender?

8. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

the chicks are so tiny that if you don't grind their food up they wont be able to swallow it ...the blender or food processor as long as it's about the same as cornmeal size.

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:The best thing I've found is an electric coffee grinder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by