Button quail question fr Newbie

Aww that's adorable, @WoDia

Can I ask how kiki died? -- When these little fellows get older (2-3 yrs is apparently their life span), how do they die? - Do they just keel over? .. I'm already dreading it.

I'm a live-in caregiver for seniors and I literally travel all over Ontario going from one senior to the next. My current senior's daughter had an enormous drunken party here at the house the other night -- this led to a discussion from me regarding RESPECT, but the daughter is just as stubborn as her 81 yr old father and she refuses to acknowledge any wrongdoing, so now I am looking for another job -- hopefully immediately. HOWEVER, this means I am going to have to move my 2 'kid quail' (my boy & his new girlfriend whom he's becoming closer to) - This should be ok altho stressful for them -- BUT, I also have eggs in the incubator which will hatch in the next 9 days. I will have to run the incubator in the car (provided I find a job to go to soon) on the way to my next location... or.. run a heat lamp in a tiny brooder if the chicks hatch before I go................. could be tricky... hopefully there won't be any fatalities.
How are the soon-to-be hatchlings coming along?🐣🐥

so far it appears there are 14 very easy to see air sacs and the eggs are practically full ... seems the new incubator is doing a great job --- of course, they may not all hatch but still, very exciting!
Awww ☺️ that’s great news! You may have ANOTHER little sweetie in this bunch too. I agree…. exciting!

Thanks, @WoDia .. hey, do you know what the air cell in button quail eggs should look like on day 13 ? Some of mine only have normal looking air cells while others have larger ones. Shouldn't the air cells be growing a bit?

Very likely some of the eggs are just a little behind in air cell growth, so don‘t give up on them yet. It may be nothing to worry over. I’ve had that happen (where the air cells looked smaller than I thought they should be) and still had chicks hatch from them. I’ve never actually had a hatch where all air cells look exactly the same size. The chicks might not all hatch the same day either. For my last hatch, I had chicks hatching over a two day period. I always wait a few extra days for any late-hatchers. If you observed movement each time you candled them, then they should be fine. As long as their environment has remained stable during their development, they will be okay. My fingers are crossed that you have a very successful hatch. Sorry I could not be of more help…. just drawing from my own experience.

Back
Top Bottom