Button quail sexing, all males have rusty vents?

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
Is it really true that ALL male button quail varieties have either pink or rusty vents if they're not white/pied/splash? I really need to thin my flock out, but I'm only sure of the genders on about half of them. If I can figure out genders, I can figure out for sure who is staying and who is going and reduce my feed bill.
smile.png

I have one that I think is a grey form blueface or something, plus several grey/slates/smokeys/whatevers.

Last edited:
I've heard that some silvers don't have them, but other than white (and a few oddball silvers) they all should have them.

Whites do not. My Silver Males do. I'm not positive that all Silvers do though...
Whites are tough to sex. I have 9 and I only know that 1 is definitely a Male.
~whisper He's been the one on top~
roll.png

David

Unless they have a white vent they should be able to be sexed with the red vent feather method. I do have a silver lacking the pink vent but he does have a pronounced white bib and I think with 99.9% of silvers you will find the males have a beautiful white bib to help ID them. The bluefaced , slate, etc all should have red vents in the males.

Quote:
Bibs are not indicative of sex. I had a female silver last year that had a very nice bib.

I think the females' bibs are supposed to be creamy instead of white. My ivory had a creamy bib to her.

Females have a diffrent style of bib. Red breasted hens have a light colored throat as well. It is not the same as a well defined white line of a male bib though. Blue faced hens can have white markings that are more like blotches than defined bibs. A males bib is defined and very easily determined like a beard. There are two styles of bibs. On with a thin line across the top a dark color inbetween and a thick white line accross the bottom as well as red breasted bibs which is a fine white pencil line down low on the throat.

Although from the side this silver has the full bib
26078_slvrrdbrst.jpg

This male has the thin line
26078_cinnamon_red_breasted_male.jpg

this female has a light colored throat but is not defined
26078_red_breasted_hen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom