Button Quail with foot constriction injury

solidstate

Chirping
Mar 4, 2021
Grant County WA
Good afternoon everyone. I banded one of my babies two days ago, and the next monring she had developed a very swollen foot, though the band was still loose and moved freely. I don't know if she injured that foot on the band somehow, or what happened, but I removed it for now and started amoxicillin and meloxicam. She's one of my best fall babies.

Anyone have an idea as to her prognosis? Her toes look a bit better today, but her joint looks pretty necrotic at the skin level.

They are kept indoors so its not frostbite.

Yesterday
1.jpg

Today
3.jpg

Oh, I’ m sorry about your little quail. It could help to soak her feet in warm Epsom salts water once or twice a day. Apply some Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. It is hard to know if the leg will heal. Time will tell, but you should know within the next week, if it is necrotic or not. @Wyorp Rock may be better at judging since she has experience with quail. Let us know how she gets along.

Last edited:
Oh, I’ m sorry about your little quail. It could help to soak her feet in warm Epsom salts water once or twice a day. Apply some Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. It is hard to know if the leg will heal. Time will tell, but younshould know within the next week, if it is necrotic or not. @Wyorp Rock may be better at judging since she has experience with quail. Let us know how she gets along.
Poor little thing!
I agree with @Eggcessive sound treatment advice. I'd give daily care and see how it goes.
Keep her on dry bedding or puppy pads.

Is she able to get to food/water o.k.?

Oh, I’ m sorry about your little quail. It could help to soak her feet in warm Epsom salts water once or twice a day. Apply some Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. It is hard to know if the leg will heal. Time will tell, but you should know within the next week, if it is necrotic or not. @Wyorp Rock may be better at judging since she has experience with quail. Let us know how she gets along.
Thank you, I’ll be keeping up with treatment and hope she improves

Poor little thing!
I agree with @Eggcessive sound treatment advice. I'd give daily care and see how it goes.
Keep her on dry bedding or puppy pads.

Is she able to get to food/water o.k.?
Ok thanks, I’ll make sure her bedding is extra dry and clean. She can get to her food and water and walks a bit, but doesn’t put a lot of pressure on that foot.

I haven’t separated her from her three hatchmates so far, they aren’t bothering with it and she gets pretty stressed when she’s alone, and paces which I know must be painful.

I’ll get some Epsom salt asap as well, I did a cool water soak early on but had no epsom salt, so that’s on the list for sure.

Back
Top Bottom