Button Quail!

Big Dreamer

Songster
9 Years
Aug 21, 2010
Central, FL
Ok i don;t have any but i want some, i have some questions that arent answered in the stickies..

1. How many pairs can i put into a 6x4 pen/aviary?

2. Can Quail be in an aviary or will they hurt themselves by flying up, i was planning on it being like 5 ft tall though?

3. Do i have to collect the eggs, or can i just let them sit on them?

4. Will they know what to do with the babies and how to sit?

5. If I plant the aviary, will they eat the plants?

6. I live in FL, can they be outside, thats all i can give them?

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
1. I would say 3 pairs
2. Quail can be in an aviary
3. You will need to collect eggs, when in pairs alone hens will sit, when there are more than one pair, not so much
4. You would need to take care of the babies once they hatch.
5. they will eat the plants but will like to hide in them
6. You would need to bring them indoors in the winter time (it gets cold in Florida too).

but they are ok with the heat? and with the winter in the aviary i was gonna give them a coop, with full access, so they could go in if they wanted to and they could just stay out if they wanted to, but i cant just let the females sit on their eggs because the others will.....? they cant raise their own young?so with the plants, if i plant like fernes or like things like that they will eat them? if i only had 1 pair, would the female sit? would i still have to take the hatchlings away?

Button quail do not do well with the cold. They need heat lamps if you keep them outside. They are not like chickens. They thrive in tropical climates. It depends on the pair whether you feel they are taking care of the chicks. The hen may set, she may not. Every bird is different. Plus you have to worry about garden snakes and rat snakes which can get in and harm your birds.

Oh for the snakes and rats, i was going to have chicken wire over the entire thing accept the top and i would put just a normal roof on it and then over the chicken wire i was gonna put some hog fencing free from my friend and then put hardwire cloth over that, so its strong for raccoons small enoguh for snakes and rats and just another protection with the chicken wire, and then i was gonna put the wire in the dirt 1 ft down and then have fencing 1 foot as a skirt and then have rocks and mulch over that and have plants in the rocks and mulch so it would be pretty, and then in the aviary i would take the grass away and just have dirt and then have plants all over the place and then have a little 2x2 ft coop box thing for cold nights and wind protection and then i would have hay in there and i think thats it..is that ok?

ok thanks!! Oh one more thing, where would i be able to get button quail? i dont think they have them at my feed store..any sites well known?

Oooh goody!
big_smile.png

umm, if i buy from you, i live in florida, how much would it cost to ship a pair of silver button quail? what would be the total cost of one pair of silver button quail plus shipping, from you (of course)

Back
Top Bottom