Buttons laying less and less eggs?

WhiteCollarWeezy

Positive Chick
Premium Feather Member
Sep 13, 2022
Central Arkansas
We have been raising button and coturnix quail for over a year now. I have noticed our buttons are laying less and less eggs, the coturnix barely seem to "miss a beat" when it comes to egg production. Sometimes I will gather 8 eggs, next night 24, then maybe 2 a night for the rest of the week. Have close to 40 buttons, hard to count they move to fast. Just worried about our buttons? The coturnix are thriving. Coturnix and buttons are housed seperately. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Been 2-3 weeks ago a tornado came through Kirby,AR. Just a cpl miles from our home...caught the backlash of the winds. I figured weather may be a factor. We feed medicated chick stater..just to try to keep them from getting ill and laying crumbles. From time to time wild bird mix..not my choice..like a treat...not sure about their calcium intake. They get enough light and air flow through where we house them.

I've noticed that with buttons they lay less if they don't have enough calcium.

The storm may well have stressed them enough to stop manybof them from laying. Give them a couple weeks to get settled again.

I have never fed my birds medicated feed, but I have heard that quail don't do well on it.

Ok thank yall so much. I'll check into the calcium. The medicated starter hasn't affected them before. The egg production really dropped after that tornado. Hopefully just stressed by the weather. Thank yall again.

Just an update...our buttons are back to "normal" egg production. Since last thread... Have 75 incubating. Fingers crossed. I think the weather really stressed them.

Back
Top Bottom