Buttons vs Coturnix

I had two fly away when I first got some. I never found them either. I was so upset. I even put out lost posters (probably the only person in my area who puts up a lost poster for their quail :oops:).
That sounds heartbreaking! A lot of people will give me crap for it, but I'm a firm believer in wing clipping. These guys love to blast into walls at random, coturnix are terrible fliers, and I've had a few broken bones, too. :(

Haha, I WISH cots only crowed during the day!! That would be amazing.

I love the cute noises buttons make, especially the HeeHeeHee! I watch a lot of youtube videos with buttons, but there's no way to judge volume, sadly. Some videos make super quiet sounds like a honking finch seem as loud as a fire alarm, and vice versa. :p

However, if button quail have the same volume as coturnix roosters I really would rather not add to the barely tolerable screaming. At least my ultra loud boys will cuddle with me, lol!

Hi. I have kept both kinds of quails. The button quails are the most noisy and loud.

They will 'crow' throughout the night in the breeding season. Mine live in an aviary outdoors and they can be heard loudly even in our bedroom at night. It can be very annoying.

The coturmix quails, even thought they can also be loud, their call is softer and does not hurt your ears as much as the shrill high pitched loud constant crowing of the button quail.

Hi. I have kept both kinds of quails. The button quails are the most noisy and loud.

They will 'crow' throughout the night in the breeding season. Mine live in an aviary outdoors and they can be heard loudly even in our bedroom at night. It can be very annoying.

The coturmix quails, even thought they can also be loud, their call is softer and does not hurt your ears as much as the shrill high pitched loud constant crowing of the button quail.
I appreciate your honesty!! Really, I do. I have heard this, but I've also heard the exact opposite many times! It's not bad to be a noisy bird after all, but I wish people wouldn't downplay in the hopes to find a home for their birds, it will only end badly for the bird they're trying to do well for by putting them somewhere they aren't a good match, and they only have to be rehomed again! I'm glad I have the good people of BYC to rely on whenever I'm not in the know.

I have a pair of buttons (Chinese painted quail) indoors. During the off season, the male is fairly quiet, but it does get rather chaotic in spring if there are several pairs in close proximity. I eventually culled a few males after getting woken up at 1 AM a few too many times!
I'm not sure that I would consider them to be louder overall than the Japs. I have those as well, and during the time in which I had a pair indoors due to weather, I found the male to be louder in volume, albeit less persistent than the CPs.

I have a pair of buttons (Chinese painted quail) indoors. During the off season, the male is fairly quiet, but it does get rather chaotic in spring if there are several pairs in close proximity. I eventually culled a few males after getting woken up at 1 AM a few too many times!
I'm not sure that I would consider them to be louder overall than the Japs. I have those as well, and during the time in which I had a pair indoors due to weather, I found the male to be louder in volume, albeit less persistent than the CPs.
My coturnix quails are indoors as well, and are usually quiet most of the day until something annoys the rooster, then you can go deaf! My current rooster is super finnicky and everything annoys him as he is a special snowflake, so I hear him about one or two times an hour between 5 am and midnight. I'm very lucky that the big room their pen is in doesn't share a wall with anyone! 😬 I've never had anyone complain either, surprisingly! The neighbors are fragile snowflakes as well and will complain about my hanging suet balls in the winter! 😂

Agree. The Japs are probably louder, but the actual sound of the Chinese Button Quail carries further and hurts the ears more... maybe it's because it's higher pitched and more like screaming than the bubbly call of the Jap Bantams.

Agree. The Japs are probably louder, but the actual sound of the Chinese Button Quail carries further and hurts the ears more... maybe it's because it's higher pitched and more like screaming than the bubbly call of the Jap Bantams.

I love the description you've used there - "Bubbly". That's an excellent word to describe their call. We have a cockatiel who attempts to imitate the Japanese cock's calls. His version is indescribable, but cute. 🤣

I love the description you've used there - "Bubbly". That's an excellent word to describe their call. We have a cockatiel who attempts to imitate the Japanese cock's calls. His version is indescribable, but cute. 🤣
I think the coturnix roos sound like they are screaming "OHMYGOD!!!!" When they crow. 😄

Back
Top Bottom