Buy a Kit or Build a Coop from Scratch?

GordonC50

In the Brooder
We have been going back and forth trying to decide to build a coop from scratch or buy a kit. We have decided to buy a kit. It's more expensive but in the long run, we can add to or modify the kit as we go.
We are buying a coop that will easily house our 6 Barred Rock hens (no rooster). It's hard to find a extra large kit that will suffice but we found one. We ordered it today a will keep you updated on its delivery and building progress.

I am assuming you are capable of building a coop since you included that as one of the options you considered. If so I am curious why you chose the more expensive option, and indicate you can add on or modify a kit. You could modify or add on to a coop built from scratch and it will be built a lot better. I am in the process of building my coop this weekend, the research I did I could not find anyone who recommended the "kit" coops. I purchased all the materials to build a 6x8 foot coop with 7 foot walls and an 8 foot peak roof for right at $300.00 from Lowes. The only material I didn't purchase is the metal for the roof, I am repurposing that. I bought treated lumber for the floor and floor joist which was a big part of the expense and also bought smartside for the walls. The rest is a bunch of 2x4x8's that are under $2.00 each.

I would bet even if you had to pay someone labor to build it for you, you could get more bang for the buck buying materials.

I toyed with the idea of buying a kit. But after noticing that most kits seem to be smaller than most recomnendations and pricey, I've decided to build my own. I'm fairly certain I will get more coop for the money.

Well we got our prefab kit built and are keeping it in the front yard to let the chicks get an hour or so of sun when its nice out. We are going to put the coop in our larger run once we get it built. The coop kit cannot be made predator proof any way that i can see. We will use the coop kit for a transition/brooder/sick coop. I would recommend that no one buy a kit unless they live in the city or sn area that is already well protected from any animals.

I am sure many people on here will be interested in what you got and from where as they may be in need of something like it.

Wishing you the best with your gals.

We have been going back and forth trying to decide to build a coop from scratch or buy a kit. We have decided to buy a kit. It's more expensive but in the long run, we can add to or modify the kit as we go.
We are buying a coop that will easily house our 6 Barred Rock hens (no rooster). It's hard to find a extra large kit that will suffice but we found one. We ordered it today a will keep you updated on its delivery and building progress.
Cool!!.... what kit did you order?

Back
Top Bottom