Buy a Kit or Build a Coop from Scratch?

GordonC50

In the Brooder
We have been going back and forth trying to decide to build a coop from scratch or buy a kit. We have decided to buy a kit. It's more expensive but in the long run, we can add to or modify the kit as we go.
We are buying a coop that will easily house our 6 Barred Rock hens (no rooster). It's hard to find a extra large kit that will suffice but we found one. We ordered it today a will keep you updated on its delivery and building progress.

I am sure many people on here will be interested in what you got and from where as they may be in need of something like it.

Wishing you the best with your gals.

I am assuming you are capable of building a coop since you included that as one of the options you considered. If so I am curious why you chose the more expensive option, and indicate you can add on or modify a kit. You could modify or add on to a coop built from scratch and it will be built a lot better. I am in the process of building my coop this weekend, the research I did I could not find anyone who recommended the "kit" coops. I purchased all the materials to build a 6x8 foot coop with 7 foot walls and an 8 foot peak roof for right at $300.00 from Lowes. The only material I didn't purchase is the metal for the roof, I am repurposing that. I bought treated lumber for the floor and floor joist which was a big part of the expense and also bought smartside for the walls. The rest is a bunch of 2x4x8's that are under $2.00 each.

I would bet even if you had to pay someone labor to build it for you, you could get more bang for the buck buying materials.

We have been going back and forth trying to decide to build a coop from scratch or buy a kit. We have decided to buy a kit. It's more expensive but in the long run, we can add to or modify the kit as we go.
We are buying a coop that will easily house our 6 Barred Rock hens (no rooster). It's hard to find a extra large kit that will suffice but we found one. We ordered it today a will keep you updated on its delivery and building progress.
Cool!!.... what kit did you order?

We are getting this one from Amazon. It is 144" long by Paw Hut and has two nest boxes, and will provide a good base for any modifications it night need.

So we have decided against buying the pre-built kit we were considering. The kit has shipped but we found a man near us that builds and sells good quality homemade coops. We are going to send the kit back and bite the bullet for return shipping. Too many bad reviews on the kit. The new coops have a larger area for our 6 birds and 6 nest boxes.

Back
Top Bottom