BUY or BUILD?

It's just a shame I live alone, cause someone would have gotten a big laugh watching me hold my chickens heads to the nipples to get them started. They all took to it very quickly, and I had the time to stay right there and watch to make sure each one walked to it after her lesson, and got a drink by herself. Once they did that I took away the nasty waterers we had been using. They still help themselves to the dogs water dishes when they are out, but they all go to the nipples the rest of the time.

We built our feeders and now working on building our wateres and rain system. All of the feeders that I looked at could NOT provide me with what I needed for my animals. I wanted my feeders to be a long "feeding trough" so-to-speak kinda feeder, so that is how mine were built. Animals can be on both sides of it eating at one time. I can place the feeders exactly where I want them in the chicken yard and pick them up and place them under the shed when it rains. I used recycled wood, so the feeders are VERY sturdy. The feeders in the feed stores are not stable and cannot withstand ducks, geese and turkeys knocking them over.

Our feeders are not fancy by no means but it surely does the job. I'm 110% satisfied with what we built.

I do have hanging feeders (store bought feeders) inside of the raised chicken coop but I wanted feeders placed in the chicken yard to be used as community feeders for all because the geese cannot fly into the raised coops. The coops are too tall for them.

PROS: You build it to your specifications. You build what you want.
CONS: If you can't build, then you're stuck with it. You have no one to blame but yourself.
gig.gif

Some of the feeders are 4ft long and others are 5ft long.
6612_feeders.jpg

6612_animals_feeding.jpg

6612_all_eating.jpg

Quote:
I use a Dog dish that has an automatic water float in it. Set on low pressure. Dump it out use a toilet brush on it. If I have chicks in the pen I cover the dish with hardware cloth bent inward to set below the water about a half inch. So they can walk on water without drowning. Pop off the hardware cloth scrub and dump.

I live in a very dry climate and dumping right in the coop is not a problem (my coops have dirt floors). Its hot here too in the summer 110-115 max. I dont see doing those nipple drinkers because I know when i am thirsty when its very hot I drink lots of water at one time.

One thing I have been considering is using a small float float valve in say some PVC pipe for each pen. Then running lines inside each of the pens terminated with straight hose thread then attaching a flexible hose which connects to a water dish. This would allow me to clean more thoroughally or swap out and put in the dishwasher. But I usually scrub and let the sun cook em.

For me a central location for a water source is also a good idea since I will be serving up water to about seven coops and runs I eventually want to put a 200 - 300 gallon tank out there to fill from the well for when the power goes out. That way the big tank will act as a buffer.... and no one goes without.

Quote:
hey Kuntrygirl,
I really like the buffet style feeders you made!! what size lumber did you use? if you dont mind me asking...
hmm.png
Karl

Lumber used was (3) 2x6's and (1) 2x4.

Back
Top Bottom