BUY or BUILD?

cajunhillbilly

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 22, 2010
Dover, Arkansas
OK I am battling myself over whether or not to buy or build feeders and waterers for chicks and full grown chickens and ducks!!!!! urghh:he
What is yalls opinion on this? Pros and Cons.... opinions...lol
Thanks in advance!
pop.gif

I find that building is very satisfying to the soul. I hated changing the muddy water in the gravity fed watering dishes, and finally decided to try making a chicken nipple watering system. It turned out great, and now my girls have clean water all the time, and a bit more floor space in the run as a bonus! I'm still using the hanging feeder I bought when I moved the girls to the run, but I'd kind of like to make one of the feeders with the big PVC pipe that you fill from outside of the run. Not sure how rodent proof that would be, not that the hanging feeder is rodent proof either. Anyway, have fun trying out new options. Best deal on the nipples is at qcsupply.com. I put the bucket outside of the run, with the pipe coming through the bottom of the bucket. Good luck, and let me know if you need directions.
61320_new_shelf_and_water_sys.jpg
61320_madonna_water.jpg

In my first photo you can see the supply bucket to the left of the coop door (outside the run). I bought 3/4 " pipe for the nipples to go into, a package labeled "sink repair" had the two necessary items to put on the inside and outside of the bucket, and this connects to 1/2" pvc. You will also need at least one elbow piece (I needed two) and a piece that adapts from the 1/2 " size to the 3/4" size. You will also need one end cap. I've used this system for almost two weeks now, and it has a very slow leak at the joint below the bucket. Even with the leak, I only need to top it off every 3 or 4 days, for 4 hens. Anyway, it's a very worthwile project and you'll be glad you did it. Good luck, LaVonne

Correct, I decided not to connect to a hose. I have three dogs, one a very naughty puppy. Too many ways for that to go wrong!!

Also, I'm out there every day anyway to collect eggs and visit the girls, so it's no big deal to lift the bucket lid, rinse it off and refill the bucket. You'll want to put your vent hole (to allow air into the bucket so the water will come out) on the side of the bucket, not the top.

Back
Top Bottom