Buy premade or build??

crzychickenlady

Songster
12 Years
Jan 31, 2007
I'm thinking with the cost of lumber it may be close to the same to buy premade?

I have my eye on this dandy little sucker, but would it be cheaper to try and build one like it myself?

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coops/The-Saltbox-Coop-with-Run-4-chickens-p697.aspx

I have built smaller things before and it cost me quite a bit in just lumber, so I need some help here in making this decision?

Could I build that little coop for cheaper than buying it premade???

I looked into buying a coop already made but by the time I priced the fence and lumber and was given some old building material we built a 10x20 run with a good size house and two nests for what I could buy one of the little ones.

be careful!!i have a very similar coop, same hardware, same metal door opener, the pictures are deceiving...it is very small and not well made, i have only had it since fall, clasp broke, door opener broke and its too small for my 4 bantam hens, will be building my own in the spring!
sad.png

I have had my eye on that one too, but the shipping for me would be $180, + $100 if I decide to have it shipped straight to my door, making it over $600, and DH says he thinks he can build me one for $300 or so. Plus if DH makes it, I can design whatever I want.

I am a handy-man in our home and I say build it for the price they want you more then likely can build one that would be so much more secure and longer lasting plus it can be built to the way you want it not some prefab that everyone has already.
1/4 of the fun of owning Chickens is the fact that you get to design and build your own coop and run so my vote is Build it yourself don't buy PREFAB it cost to much and it may turn out to be junk. Look at the picture closer the little girl isn't that big and sure it makes it look huge but think about it the lttle girl is what maybe 6-8 years old so look at it that way.

I do worry that it will be too small, the chickens pictured in it look a little cramped......and there's only 2 I think shown

I have played around with building myself and it's not that hard to do, I just don't know if it's worth the cost in buying the new materials.
I would like to design my own, just not sure how to go about it really, the last thing I made was just a square design, which is pretty easy to do.

The cost of lumber is just so high! Not to mention the hardware cloth that I prefer to use. I still have time to figure out a design and such, not going to be buying or building for another month.

I wonder if anyone out there has some building plans for something similar to that coop in the link, but maybe a little bit bigger?? Also I would like the run part to be a little bigger too, even something possibly detachable, so it will be easier to move??

This will be used to house 6 bantams.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
big_smile.png

Couple things. I went to order the same one from mpc

Add two hundred to the cost listed and that is what it really costs after shipping and liftgate service.....

Two: Building it is MUCH cheaper.

Three: Building it allows you to personalize it.

Needless to say... I backspaced out of there and didn't finish the transaction. And I love MPC. They have always been good to deal with... but for something big and heavy like a coop. Building is always cheaper.

Check out CL..they always have free wood and stuff..even free older dog houses... i'd do that before i spent that money.
Although..it IS a cute little coop...
big_smile.png

Quote:
That's what I did too, I foolishly thought the way it was set up was that Shipping was free, you just paid the extra $100 if you wanted it brought right to your door. Nope, still cost close to $200 to ship!

Back
Top Bottom