Buyers and shipers need to read this

If it were hunting season for them I could shoot them, but that will never happen. not gonna worry too much and will let hm be.

Is it legal to harass them until they leave?

No. They are federally protected. It is against the law to harass migratory geese. In season, a limited number can be harvested with a license and stamp. Otherwise it takes a permit to remove them, and the average person is not likely to be able to get one of those.

These are critter be gone sticks and they will work for most trespassers and incomming
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Okay I will weigh in on this.

1. BYC members need to keep in mind that there are those who come to these sites to cruise. They may work for hatcheries, feed companies or chemical/pharmaceutical companies. Why? To ply their trade. Beware of those touting the virtues of wormers and the like. Many of these are NOT safe for poultry nor humans.

2. It is a well known fact that there has been an overuse of antibiotics in farming. It has resulted in resistant strains of some diseases and has cost human lives.

3. I'm about to return a "Wormer" that DOES NOT say on the label the active ingredient is an Antibiotic. It was bought at TSC and called "Strike III". Many at the feed stores and places like this are not educated about such things. Google the active ingredients and see if it is safe.

4. In this day and age one animal or person dying from a disease is considered an epidemic.

5. Much of what we read concerns the "commercial" poultry industry. Be aware that hatcheries do not keep their own flocks. They buy eggs from "chicken egg mills". Beware of those who are selling every breed there is. Disease can be transmitted through eggs. These people may very well be treating for diseases that you are not aware of.

6. Just as in the cat/dog world there are extremists to put it lightly who are just over the top on poultry matters. If they had their way all chickens would be kept in heated houses with luxury accommodations.

7.Ignore folks who are yelling the sky is falling. That all your birds are going to get sick and die. It is NOT common for birds to get infested with mites, worms or disease. For this to happen something must be off. Either feed and nutrition or coop conditions. Certain members only answer to disease and illness postings. They seem to have all the answers. You can not validate any of their credentials.

8. Some problems with chickens can be traced to poor breeding and genetics. Do some research on your own. Don't be lazy and rely on this or other sites. Your public library is a great source of information. Subscribe to magazines/periodicals that offer updates to what is going on in the Back Yard Chicken keeping world.

9. Finally if you practice BIOSECURITY according the USDA guidelines you should not have an outbreak epidemic. The USDA offers free material to all who request it. Go to their website. One or two sick birds does not equate an epidemic. Don't jump on the bandwagon of new trends in chicken keeping. Don't buy birds from auctions and always quarantine sick or new birds. Don't let just anyone on your property or in your coop. Keep things as clean as possible. I personally do not like large waterers that allow it to sit for days. I prefer smaller waters that require fresh water every day. IMO heated waterers can allow organisms to breed. The same with heated coops. High humidity is a breeding ground for worms and cooties.

I wish you well,

Rancher

Last edited:
7.Ignore folks who are yelling the sky is falling. That all your birds are going to get sick and die. It is NOT common for birds to get infested with mites, worms or disease. For this to happen something must be off. Either feed and nutrition or coop conditions. Certain members only answer to disease and illness postings. They seem to have all the answers. You can not validate any of their credentials.

This is why I so appreciate @casportpony . All her recommendations come with research and links to the actual research that backs up her advise.

Back
Top Bottom