Buyers and shipers need to read this

I agree with the key to prevent transmission of disease being biosecurity. It makes me cringe when I read about some of the "quarantine" practices people use. I am willing to bet that 99% of this site's members have absolutely no idea how to properly quarantine new chickens.

The reason i posted this heads up was because there are folks here that buy and sell to these states and i did not want you to just ship or buy as usual and then your package get held up because they are not allowing live birds or eggs in and out of the state or area, just do your home work before you do, and do it on both ends, just because this end says it is ok does not mean it is ok when they get to the other end, , i shipped eggs to California last year and i know someone that shipped chicks without any kind of testing or paperwork so the notion that you can not ship without testing is apparently not always true.
wink.png

Quote: Thanks! I am amazed that so many people just repeat what other people post without ever looking into how valid that info is. One great example is the 1/2 teaspoon Corid powder dose that people, myself included, used to post. Truly frightening how this sort of misinformation gets started and perpetuated.

Another one is the Tylan dose... got to work on that, lol.

-Kathy

The reason i posted this heads up was because there are folks here that buy and sell to these states and i did not want you to just ship or buy as usual and then your package get held up because they are not allowing live birds or eggs in and out of the state or area, just do your home work before you do, and do it on both ends, just because this end says it is ok does not mean it is ok when they get to the other end, , i shipped eggs to California last year and i know someone that shipped chicks without any kind of testing or paperwork so the notion that you can not ship without testing is apparently not always true.
wink.png

Which is why I have applied for my NPIP certification, to head off any possible delays in shipping eggs or birds from not having it.

Quote: What I have read on the Elanco site is that chickens need 50mg per pound per day and turkeys need 60mg per pound per day, but that's for the powder. The injectable, when injected, can cause *severe* injection site necrosis, and I'm not just repeating something I have read, I have seen it with my own eyes! I'm sure many people have used it and have been fine, but seeing it just the one time was enough proof for me.

One could probably give the injectable orally, but I think it would work best if given no less than twice a day. The misinformation I keep seeing is this "give 0.5cc (25mg) to a chicken". If the average chicken weighs 5 pounds I think the dose should be closer to 5ml Tylan 50 or 1.25ml Tylan 200. Lots more to research on this.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom