BUYERS/SELLERS BEWARE "SPECIAL HANDLING" FEE.

Lacrystol

Hatching Helper
14 Years
Jun 13, 2009
Diamond, Ohio
I wanted to give all you Shippers out there a heads up if you are NOT aware of this.

As of June 1, 2015 the USPS has started a new enforcement fee. If you write FRAGILE on any of your boxes that you are shipping out. You will be charged an extra Fee. This fee seems to be ranging from $10 to $15 ON TOP OF THE ACTUALLY POSTAGE..They are calling it "special handling". You can either pay it when you drop your box off OR they give you the option to have the BUYERS/RECIPIENT pay it..

What a SURPRISE that would be!!! So to me, I would expect these "Special Handling" boxes to be treated with kids hands, but I bet they DON'T!!!

I think this is outrage because they don't even handle the packages appropriate now!!

Last edited:
I just got chicks in the mail a couple weeks ago. I wasn't the one to pick them up, so I don't know if we had to pay extra or not, but I plan to order chicks again in the future.

That's rediculous! I am a buyer and the shipping is already an arm & a leg! I only hatch shipped eggs at this time and I doubt they will treat the boxes any better.
I'm with you, I doubt it very Much they treat those boxes any different. If you think about it, it may be cheaper just to ship Fed Ex if they keep this crap up.

They are claiming that to many people writing FRAGILE on the boxes and in realty they don't have anything in the box that is fragile.

Seriously I guess everyone puts Hatching Eggs or Live embryos on the box too. LOL

And exactly how would they know FOR SURE if there is anything in that box that is Fragile??? GRRR.. Makes me so mad...

I've worked for both USPS and UPS on and off for the holidays for about 6 years. In both places, fragile, handle with care and other words, don't matter in the handling. For UPS, it means packages cannot go on the bottom of piles in the warehouse and on the truck, it means let the driver know something is marked fragile. At USPS, means top shelf of delivery vehicle, that's it.
Edit: I am speaking only of the two truck loading warehouses I personally worked at for UPS and one loading warehouse for USPS. My personal working experience.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom