Buying a Hova Bator. How long do I have to wait before I put eggs in?

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
I'm going to buy a Genesis 1588 sometime this next week. How long do I have to have it plugged in and running before I can put eggs into it?
hu.gif
I would like to put eggs into it as soon as possible after I get it, but didn't know how I should plan in terms of ordering the bator and ordering some eggs.

This is exciting and scary all at the same time!
lol.png

Good question - I'm waiting on my Genesis 1588 too. I'll be watching for your replies.

I can't wait to order some eggs, but don't want to jump the gun.

Just as soon as your temp and humidity levels are holding steady, you can add the eggs, usually takes about 24 hours or so. And just remember that the temp will drop for awhile after the eggs go in till every egg's internal temp comes up to the preset temp of the bator, so don't panic!

You plug the incubator in and let it run for 24 hours to make sure the humidity and temp. stay stable. I have a hovabator and since it is foam the temp. rises and drops with the room temperature. I would suggest getting an incubator that is not foam.

Im not knockin Cyn's advice - she's forgotten more abou this stuff than I'll know. That's why she's a mod.

But I would run it for a week with 2, water filled 20 oz. soda bottles placed inside. Get to understand what makes the machine tick and to ensure it is going to perform as needed where you intednd to use it.
Now is not the time for impatience.

Last edited by a moderator:
What seems to help with the Hova is I place a quilted wallhanging or a folded towel over the top of it at night when the room cools down and it seems to help with temp fluctuations alot. It loses heat at the window area (mine has the two small windows) Granted, it's foam, but most in that price range are.
David, that one is the preset one, so it won't have that much tweaking to do. And I'm not a mod anymore. I resigned from the madness, LOL.

Last edited:
AnNd I've made a cover "coozy" from bubble wrap and duct tape for the same reasons.

Just be sure you dont cover up the bottom or top vents. Air comes in through the bottom vent holes and out the top, so don't hinder that flow.

Back
Top Bottom