Buying Chicks From Tractor Supply

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeatherMarieR, Feb 27, 2015.

1. HeatherMarieR

HeatherMarieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    I bought 6 chicks and 4 ducklings from my local Tractor Supply the other day, and today I bought 7 more chicks and 2 more ducklings from a Tractor Supply about 45 minutes away. The one I went to today made me fill out a form with my name and how many chicks I bought. Since I've filled out that form and already purchased the minimum amount once, does that mean that I can walk in there an purchase 1 or 2 now instead of having to buy 6 more each time?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Maybe....call them and ask.

3. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    No. You will have to fill out the form each time you purchase. That is a state requirement not a TSC requirement. You will also have to purchase the minimum of 6 each time. If you only want 1 or 2 of a certain breed your best bet is to go in and wait till someone comes in who is looking to buy the minimum of 6 or more and jump in with them.

4. HeatherMarieR

HeatherMarieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Somerville, AL
    Well dang that sucks. Apparently the signs at this one said that the minimum on the ducks was 6, but they let me get 2. The minimum at my local TSC is 2 so I just assumed it was there too, and they didn't say anything about it. I was hoping to get a few more Silkies and one more Rouen duckling.

5. CliffB

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Depends on the county and the state as to what their restrictions are on purchasing. TSC only requires 2 ducks or 6 chicks but certain county/states have their own requirements that have to be met.

6. lonniedeohio

lonniedeohio Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2015
    WV
    My Coop
    I told the manager I'd pay for 6 but I'm only taking 4 so he let me just pay for 4.

7. fishyapothecary

fishyapothecary Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2014
    Odessa , Florida
    Nothing like the government sticking their nose into how many chickens you must purchase. Wth is it any of their businesses?!
    We are no longer a free people. It is freedom at their discretion.

1 person likes this.
  8. redfordchick

redfordchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    Michigan
    I just bought 3 chicks at TSC, and luckily I had made friends with the employees because I shop there for my horse. I think it's a ridiculous rule, but it's a chain store, I don't think it has anything to do with the Government. It may help keep from selling to people who have no business taking chicks home, as 6 chicks are a little more of a commitment then 2-3 for the "cute" factor. I didn't have to fill anything out though.

2 people like this.
  9. CliffB

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Filling out paper work is also a county/state controlled thing. Different places require different things. GDOA checked our paperwork 2 weeks ago when they were at my store for our Chicken Swap.

10. redfordchick

redfordchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    Michigan
    yeah I'm sure that part is I just meant the chick number requirements.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by