buying "dirt" in the winter

Walmart has very cheap potting/top soil that is very plain and nothing added to it, "EARTHGRO TOP SOIL". I've used it before in my aquariums and as people should know, any slightest particle of a chemical can kill off the fish in a tank. That's why you seal up aquariums and their filters when you need to paint any room in the house.
Seems like Home Depot also has it.
cd730000-d59f-4eae-a6d9-fad3320d8d21_400.jpg

Quote:
patandchickens is right about sand being much cheaper to have a dump load delivered than to buy it in retail-sale bags. I have sand in my peacock aviary. It was $6.00 per yard and I bought 3 yards. 3 yards filled up the back of our pick up truck. The measurements of the aviary and where the sand was placed is 28 feet long - 10 feet wide - 8 feet tall. Here are pics of where the sand is being used. I will be putting sand in all of my chicken runs as well. At that price, you can't beat that.

6612_aviary_7.jpg

6612_aviary_8.jpg

6612_aviary_4.jpg

6612_aviary_5.jpg

6612_aviary_1.jpg

Additionally, the all purpose sand - unlike the playground sand, which is too fine - is a great source of natural grit for the girls! I keep a kitty litter box of it under a raised coop, so they have scratching stuff even when it rains.

I'd think you'd be able to find it from a local gravel company regardless of the season. Also, depending on which part of the country you're from, it may be better for your lawn being frozen to uphold the giant trucks.

I just resanded four 12x12 stalls in my barn one foot deep for my chickens. It took one dump truck load and alot of work. Next time I'll rent a bob cat lol. But what the chickens like to dust bathe in is the dirty sugar sand in the car port.
idunno.gif

it's going to get expensive to keep replacing soil - moving it aroun dis one thing (for most of the year). In the winter I would definitely go sand or gravel, you'll have to move it around less anyway since it drains so well.

Like others said, get it delivered rather than buying it by the bag. First of all that's expensive, plus you're wasting packaging etc buying tons of bags.

Back
Top Bottom