Buying Hatching Eggs on eBay???

maggienchamp

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 22, 2011
Hi! So, I was wondering, how do you buy hatching eggs on eBay? I mean, don't then need to be incubated 24/7 right after they are layed? I don't really know that much about chickens, so I apologize if this is a silly question
big_smile.png
Thanks for your answers!

After being laid, they have approximately 10 days before they start to be no good.
Most sellers send eggs by next day delivery so they get to you right away. You then leave them to settle in a cool (not cold) place for up to 24 hours before you incubate them, I left mine for 12 hours but know that some people leave them to settle for less time than that even. Good luck.
smile.png

Just make sure you buy them from a reputable seller. Some people are out just to make a buck and dont care about the eggs! Just a heads up.

I've bought loads of eggs on e-bay. DO NOT get your hopes up. Shipping is VERY hard on eggs. It is better to research how far the seller is from you, and take into account the temps between you and them. And the USPS. If they have a bad day, your eggs will, too. Remember, a hen will lay her eggs in a secure spot....not until she is happy with the situation will she start incubation, they may sit for a week or more. Usually a 50% hatch is considered good. Lots of factors go into this. If the deal is good, and you don't mind the gamble, try it! And don't forget to let the eggs rest for at LEAST 12 hours, to try and stabilize the air sac, before putting them in the bator. Roberta

I've got a few from ebay and a few from here. To generalize...here you get a better quality stock, people friendly people, the right kind of egg, people who know about their birds. I think one set that was supposed to be a fancy breed from ebay was actually a dozen Trader Joe's. Had to fight twice to get my money back. Here I've never had to think about asking.

I've shipped to people as far away as New Jersey and heard back of great results. Personally I think there's two things to consider here -

1) Ebay is NOT the best place to look for hatching eggs. Lots of untrusty people there, lots of people selling something that isn't as advertised, poor packers, etc.

2) It is all about the packing.
wink.png
If the eggs are packed right, you can get some pretty darn good fertility from someone's eggs on the opposite end of the US.

Quote:
Agreed!! I was dreading having eggs shipped in because of all of the negitive comments on shipped eggs, but I found a very nice person on here who had the birds I needed, she gave ALOT of information about her breeders, she packaged her eggs like fort knox and I had not one egg broke, in the end only 1 egg wasnt fertile, and if not for newbie error.. all would have hatched!!! Its all in the packing and the honesty of the shipper!! you wont find many honest people on Ebay!

Back
Top Bottom