Buying hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlechick2000, Jul 26, 2016.

1. littlechick2000

littlechick2000 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    id like to know where to get eggs for hatching. I finally convinced my parents to get an incubator(sadly at the death of two almost hatched eggs) and I want some new breeds instead of what I already have. Anyone know where to get good fertile eggs?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The buy - sell - trade threads on BYC, craigslist and e-bay.
    Some breeders and hatcheries have them too.

3. littlechick2000

littlechick2000 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    Ok thanks!

4. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Just be prepared that shipped eggs can be a gamble. They need special care throughout incubation and that's still not a garuntee you will get a good hatch. You can but not always. Local eggs are way easier, so if you can find some in driving distance you will most likely have a better hatch.

Have you read "hatching 101"? Make sure to get a separate thermometer & hygrometer and calibrate them to check the readings on the new incubator. Even very expensive brand new incubators can give incorrect temperature and humidity readings.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I was going through craigslist and saw a man fairly close by that had eggs for $5 a dozen. I called and went over to get a dozen easter eggers. Well, he said he was covered up with eggs and gave me 4 dozen. Wouldn't take a cent for um. But that's never happened before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by