Buying single chick to join others?

scotchmegs

In the Brooder
May 8, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello! First-timer here. My 3 day-olds (technically 2-day-olds, I suppose!) arrived from Meyer yesterday, but sadly one was very lethargic on arrival and didn't make it overnight.

The other two seem to be thriving, but I would love for them to have a third buddy. Because of borough regulations, three is the max and they must be hens. TSC and RK both have minimums (understandably), but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for where to buy one sexed chick that I could add while they're still young? Other details: I'm in the Pittsburgh area and willing to drive, though for the chick's sake would like to keep it under 2 hrs. I don't yet know any other chicken-folk who might want to split an order, so that route isn't practical for me at this time.

Thank you for any advice!

Your situation is actually difficult to accomplish. Most avenues to just buy 1 chick and sexed is nearly impossible.

Having 2 chicks grow up together is very doable they will literally behave like pets with you as you will be there flock master.

I have read of people that stand in TSC until someone else buys chicks, then co-ordinate with them so the total number of chicks purchased will meet the store's requirements. Of course that still has the risk of mis-sexed or mis-labeled chicks.

You might be able to order another 3 or 4 chicks, and then rehome the extras to someone else.

If you are willing to eat chickens that you raised, you could get whatever number is required from TSC or from a hatchery, and eat the extras before anyone gets around to counting your chickens and complaining. This also provides some protection from mis-sexed chicks: of course you would eat any males first. Chickens are edible at any age, and you don't have to wait until they are "big enough to butcher." Just choose a method of cooking that works for the size pieces they have (soup always works.)

Last edited:
I just ask my TSC manager. They'll sell me any number of chicks because they know that I know chickens. If you explain the sitch, they might allow you to get just 1.

Otherwise, hang out by the bins at the store for a few. Someone will come in to buy chicks, and you can pay them to add one to their purchase.

Or you can hit up a local FB group for chickens and explain that you want to split an order at a feed store. I bet you get a taker!

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I will give these ideas a try, and appreciate knowing that even just two will be okay. I felt like I read every BYC post in the month leading up to their arrival, but this situation was one I hadn't thought of.

I got my chicks this spring from a large chain farm and fleet. I had to go back two days later to replace a failure to thrive chick. They had a two chick minimum, but I talked to the lady serving up the chicks, explained the situation, and she let me depart with just one. She kind of quizzed me about what had happened, which was totally fair. Even at the big stores, the folks there mostly just want to make sure you're not doing something that's going to hurt the bird - they're not, like, committed to the policy.

Note: have a plan to keep the chick warm! I grabbed some of hot hands to put in the box with my solo for the car ride home.

So you're not going to do what I did? Get the chick first and then wander around the store with a screaming chick in a box looking for the hand warmers? (I totally did not draw attention to the exception made for me. 🙄)

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom