Buzzard

L Home Farm

Chirping
Jul 10, 2023
Ireland
Hi there, im looking for some advice as I have buzzard (not the vulture kind) problems. The chickens are currently in a small covered run but this not feasible really. I’m about to build a large new run but I can’t cover that area. What has worked for other people to keep them away? We also have lots of pine martens and foxes. Thank you!

Last edited:
You mean the vulture kind then?

Sorry I got mixed up 🫣 I edited the post..

Why protect from buzzards? I've never heard anyone complain about them before. I always thought they were essential for the environment
Well they have killed at least 2-4 of my chickens. I don’t want to kill them, just stop them from taking my birds.

Well they have killed at least 2-4 of my chickens. I don’t want to kill them, just stop them from taking my birds.
You couldn't legally kill them anyways.

With birds of prey you can attempt to deter them. Some people will hang shiny objects, such as pie tins, CDs, or mirrors around to confuse the predator. You can also try a fake owl, but it will have to be moved regularly otherwise the buzzard will realize it's not real. Same thing could happen with the hanging items, the can learn they are not an actual threat.
The best way to not have your chickens get eaten is to have lots of cover and a fully enclosed run. If you can find a way to do that, that will be your best bet.

Crazy. I've not once ever had a buzzard attack. Are silkies or some other small, friendly breed the ones being attacked?

I've personally watched a hen here on my farm attack a fox. I can't imagine a buzzard causing any problems to any of my chickens in 10,000 years

I understand that buzzards can't eat fresh kills. It has to have meat that has spoiled.
I've heard that buzzards do engage in opportunistic predatory behavior when under unusually stressful circumstances. The only thing odd is why a buzzard would be under stressful circumstances when it's capable of literally just flying anywhere

Plenty of roadkill in my area

Crazy. I've not once ever had a buzzard attack. Are silkies or some other small, friendly breed the ones being attacked?

I've personally watched a hen here on my farm attack a fox. I can't imagine a buzzard causing any problems to any of my chickens in 10,000 years
Y'all are thinking of vultures, but OP is referring to this kind of buzzard.

This is a Common Buzzard, which is a type of hawk.
1689009041247.png
1689009062897.png

Back
Top Bottom