By request My Chick nipple water Walk-through (With pics)

Xovan

Songster
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Oneida County , NY
I know There are a some of these somewhere but I was asked for info so this was the simplest way I could think of.

The first thing I did was order some on eBay Here is the link where I got mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20x-Water-N...817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231c61ff89

Then I selected my container. I had a 2 qt grape juice bottle saved for this purpose. I chose it for its volume and shape.

I started with the cap. The company says to use an 11/32 drill bit. but I started with a smaller pilot hole to prevent wandering and keep it centered. I put Teflon tape on the threads and snugged it with a wrench (Not To Tight!! It will strip)

The next thing I did was kill two birds with one stone. (pun kind of intended) I drilled two holes on opposite sides of the bottle.1 to hang it and 1 to let air in and prevent a vacuum. I used a wire coat hanger that I bent with pliers, I stuck the bent ends in the holes. Then I used the remaining portion of the coat hanger to hang it.

That was it. At first they seemed mad about the change. They were like "what is that and what did you do with my water?!!" Once the first one hit it the rest could not join in fast enough. The bottle lasted about 2 days with some "spillage" . Not much, the shaving were a little damp so I just grabbed out a handful and replaced a handful when I changed it this morning. I think that might be that it is a bit low. so I am going to raise it a bit when I am done with this.

I hope this helps and was not to much.

That Rocks!! Thank you so much for posting this!!! I ordered 5 from China on eBay yesterday. Hope they arrive real soon. They were only $2.88 shipped.

Last edited:
Any idea how to keep these nipple waterers from freezing in the winter with temps at night around 15 degrees?

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I just saw your reply. I plan to make something like this guy did on youtube. Looks simple enough. Here is the link.

I use 3 gallon buckets (Lowes, they have glitter ones!!) with inlets and caps to put water in them without having to take them off of the hanger. I sandwich a 9ft or so plumblers heat tape between another exterior bucket (which holds the first) and it automatically kicks on when the temps hit 32 degrees or below. Because the second bucket is not flush to the bottom of the first it creates a kind of wind barrier as well.

I think when I upgrade I'll be using that guys idea (I'm not the best at pipe cutting, seems daunting).

I use 3 gallon buckets (Lowes, they have glitter ones!!) with inlets and caps to put water in them without having to take them off of the hanger. I sandwich a 9ft or so plumblers heat tape between another exterior bucket (which holds the first) and it automatically kicks on when the temps hit 32 degrees or below.  Because the second bucket is not flush to the bottom of the first it creates a kind of wind barrier as well. 

I think when I upgrade I'll be using that guys idea (I'm not the best at pipe cutting, seems daunting).

Could I ask what a 3 gallon glitter bucket is? I don't have room for a 5 gallon, but might be able to get a 3 gallon to work. Thank you.

I got my nipples a couple weeks ago and set up the waterers (2) inside the coop. They will eventually be set up outside.

I used wire coat hanger to wrap around the bottles and then hang them. You can see a black circle made with a sharpie to show where the hole is that lets air in.

My chickens love them and they work great. No more bedding, poop or dirty water!

You can find these on Ebay for about $3 for 5 shipped from Hong Kong. Well worth the money!

Back
Top Bottom