BYC Aquarium Thread

My 100 gallon PLANTED Eartheater tank. Yep, Eartheaters and plants ;) 5 Geophagus Altifrons
CBollie, your Geophagus are AWESOME! I have a fondness for Eartheaters. I long while ago, my 150 gallon was a planted eartheater tank. I mostly had plants that would grow attached to driftwood (like you do). The species I kept was brand new to the hobby at the time and not even named, but is now called Gymnogeophagus meridionalis. http://www.diskusmann.de/bilder/buntbarsche/gymnogeophagus_meridionalis.jpg

I kept them with another awesome species, the Altum Angel - I had 8 of those, 6 eartheaters, a bunch of Corys and several Pekoltia "plecostamus" species, and a Jaguar Cat (who lived to be 15 years old). I loved them, but I had to move the tank upstairs and converted it into a paludarium, so I have smaller species now (Corys, Cardinal Tetras, and Pencilfish).

My 100 gallon PLANTED Eartheater tank. Yep, Eartheaters and plants ;) 5 Geophagus Altifrons, 1 Santanoperca Jurupari, 2 Delhezi Bichirs, 7 Angelfish, 1 Platy, 3 Odessa Barbs, 1 Chocolate Pleco, and 1 Red Tail Black Shark who, even being a fraction of the size of the big fish, beats the crap out of them whenever she feels like it.
Filtered by an FX5
woot.gif

I love your set up! and you have some amazing fish!

Do you know what the tall plant in the back is? I'd love to have some of those for my tank.

Bala Shark
Yes, these guys get huge and are notorious jumpers (cover your aquarium!). Although in the same family as goldfish and koi (Cyprinidae), Balas are a true tropical and won't appreciate being in a pond (unless you live in Florida, and maybe not even then). They'll get ich at low temperatures.
Huh. Not a tropical I don't think, but it look like a Cyprinidae. Isn't this a native of your area, the Fat Head Minnow? If so, it would definitely appreciate being in the cooler water with the goldfish.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but isn't ich a parasite? I thought that it could only be brought in through other fish. I've been fortunate enough and I haven't had to deal with it yet.

If I can find a better home for the bala sharks, then I'll let them go. Otherwise I'll heat the 125 gallon to 72 - 74 degrees for them. Will the high pH be a problem?

I'll have to do some research on the minnow. Since these fish were simply dropped off, I have no idea where they came from and it's very possible that he came from a lake.

Ok, I did some research. They do look very similar and fathead minnows are very common in MN, but it says that they only get to 3 inches max. and live for about a year. This guy is already over 4 inches when he's measured to the base of the tail fin. Including the tail fin, he's about 5 inches.

I love your set up! and you have some amazing fish! 

Do you know what the tall plant in the back is? I'd love to have some of those for my tank.

That would be Wisteria. Grows like a freakin weed...it's now so tall that it reaches 1/4 of the way across the waters surface. I just haven't had time to trim it...And Bichir likes to hang out in it :)

CBollie, your Geophagus are AWESOME!  I have a fondness for Eartheaters.  I long while ago, my 150 gallon was a planted eartheater tank.  I mostly had plants that would grow attached to driftwood (like you do).  The species I kept was brand new to the hobby at the time and not even named, but is now called Gymnogeophagus meridionalis.  http://www.diskusmann.de/bilder/buntbarsche/gymnogeophagus_meridionalis.jpg

I kept them with another awesome species, the Altum Angel - I had 8 of those, 6 eartheaters, a bunch of Corys and several Pekoltia "plecostamus" species, and a Jaguar Cat (who lived to be 15 years old).  I loved them, but I had to move the tank upstairs and converted it into a paludarium, so I have smaller species now (Corys, Cardinal Tetras, and Pencilfish).

The majority of my plants actually aren't tied to driftwood!! I devised a way to keep my Eartheaters from uprooting rooted plants ;)
I love Cories - I would have some in my 100 it it didn't have the two Bichirs. They get along with the small fish(including a German Blue Ram - I think that I forgot to mention her in my stocking list) but I think that a bunch of cories constantly swimming around their faces would just be too tempting...they'd probably end up as snacks.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but isn't ich a parasite?  I thought that it could only be brought in through other fish.  I've been fortunate enough and I haven't had to deal with it yet.

If I can find a better home for the bala sharks, then I'll let them go.  Otherwise I'll heat the 125 gallon to 72 - 74 degrees for them.  Will the high pH be a problem?

I'll have to do some research on the minnow.  Since these fish were simply dropped off, I have no idea where they came from and it's very possible that he came from a lake.

Ok, I did some research.  They do look very similar and fathead minnows are very common in MN, but it says that they only get to 3 inches max. and live for about a year.  This guy is already over 4 inches when he's measured to the base of the tail fin.  Including the tail fin, he's about 5 inches.

Ich can be brought in on anything - other fish, plants, even in water from an infected tank. Contrary to popular belief, Ich is NOT present in all tanks - it cannot survive for very long without a host.

Regarding pH, it's more important that the pH says stable than if it's "correct". My Altifrons supposedly need a pH around 5, but mine is close to 8. As you can tell from the video, it does not affect them at all, they're thriving!

Just an introduction here!
Years keeping fish: almost at 15 years since I started my current saltwater tank.
A few species you have kept: Goldfish/Koi, Carp, Bettas, Catfish, and MANY Damsel species
Favorite Species: My new love is my Kampango Catfish....
How many tanks do you currently have: 3 running with fish in them, plus a constantly running, but usually empty quarantine tank.
Do you have other creatures besides fish? Oh God yes... snails, crabs, oysters, and my favorite tank species of all (but doesn't live in water)... scorpions!
Any Advice for people new to fish keeping? Keep your water constant!!!! If pH is too high, dont just dump a bottle of buffer in... Wean your fish down slowly! Low salinity? Don't just dump in salt!!! Consistency is more important then Quality sometimes! However, don't take that as a free for all in your water quality, it is highly important too.
And for the LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE at least research how big your fish will grow. Your pretty little koi will outgrow you tiny 30 gallon tank WAY faster then you realize!

Here is a few pictures.

My lowly saltwater tank. It was designed primarily as fish and live rock only... It has slowly evolved into what it is today... It requires only topping off of water (about twice a week), feeding fish every 2 to 3 days, and once every 3-4 weeks I have to do basic maintenance such as washing out filter pads that become clogged with pods (lol, I realize I am very lucky to have TOO many) and changing out a media canister. This is honestly my lowest maintenance tank because the diversity of life within the tank does a good job at keeping itself in balance.

This is my FAT and old, retired breeding, betta female. She is approximately 5 years old now, and as earned her rest.

This is my Kampango Catfish.. "Bagrus meridionalis" for those of you into scientific names. He was sent on accident, but has been a happy little surprise. These guys can get to be 5' long and over 100 pounds... He is my most challenge fish to house because of his growth needs.

My channel catfish.. He will also grow to be quite a monster, but he will be able to survive outdoors once he outgrows indoor tanks.

Here is a picture of the two catfish together. Thankfully they are both hardy enough species that I can set up a tank with a nice range in parameters and both will be OK.

edited to fix spelling mistakes!

Last edited:
Hey Jamie not ALOT of experience here but  I would think some Mollies or guppies would be nice /img/smilies/smile.png or tetra's (tropicals though) Or even a Betta, the males come in lots of pretty bright colours and are full of personality though only one per tank /img/smilies/big_smile.png

coldwater.. well there are comets /img/smilies/lol.png and black moors

Anyone correct me if i am wrong with my suggestions /img/smilies/hide.gif
Okay but I have a divided tank in my room that holds 2 bettas and each has great space

I wanted to share a video of my red cherry shrimp. I love these little guys, my fav. fresh water invert:)
This tank is a 30 gal. long, and I have a few more plants in it now than I did when this video was taken. The shrimp are breeding like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom