BYC Aquarium Thread

Thanks, this was after I planted some new plants and the shrimp went crazy over them.

I would show a few photos of my pond, but its in direct sun and the algae has already taken over. No matter what I do it keeps coming back.
he.gif

Thanks, this was after I planted some new plants and the shrimp went crazy over them.

I would show a few photos of my pond, but its in direct sun and the algae has already taken over. No matter what I do it keeps coming back.
he.gif
Ah yes. That darn algae... last year was one of the worst years yet for us.

I'm hoping to get our pond going again next week depending on the weather.

Even if it's full of algae, I'd love to see a picture of your pond. Ours is above ground with a small section dug out in the center. The deepest area is 4 ft. and it's 4000 gallons.

4000 gallons! That must look awesome
thumbsup.gif
, Any photos of it?

Here's a photo of my pond 3 days after replacing the green water with clean water(It went back to green really fast
he.gif
).

I'll remember to get some more photos next time I do a major water change to clear out the algae.

Fish experience - 5 years

Have kept both Saltwater and Freshwater systems (including a shrimp habitat which didn't work out so well...)

Tanks - 55, 30, and 20L

I have three tanks... but currently only two are set up. My 30 gallon tank has a variety of livestock. Cory cats (including a pygmy cory), two marble koi angels, one german balloon ram, one german electric ram, about 8 neon tetra, 4 red eye tetra, a pair of breeder killies that never bred (not their faults, I never followed the proper breeding steps, and a mystery snail, who does a great job of keeping the place clean!

My 55 gallon is empty. Used to have a huge planted community angel tank and I softened the water and attempted to get a breeding pair out of it. Also had a bunch of tetras in there of various breeds. Before that, it was a saltwater experiment which I was just not prepared for at all. I've got a light system that is more than capable, but no protein skimmer, so it would have been very very difficult to grow corals. Had a few damsels in there with about 30 pounds of live rock before I threw in the towel. Also, before that, I had a lake catfish in the tank, and he got pretty big (roughly one foot) before I released him into the local lake where I got him as a 1/2 inch hatchling! His name was Tom - hopefully he did alright! I am entertaining ideas of what to do with that tank (either aquatic or otherwise). I don't hatch my own chicks, so brooder is out of the question.

The twenty long will come back to college with me and be either a tropical invert tank or a tropical freshwater (amazon like setup) with a pair of apistos and such. I have always liked freshwater inverts and have toyed with the idea of raising a blue or orange lobster, crayfish, etc...but nothing yet. I will have a very powerful light over this tank too, so the water will be relatively warm and capable of satisfying the needs of high intensity aquatic vegetation. I'm excited...should add some life to my room next year haha!

I love keeping fish, talking about tank life, and getting/giving advice whenever the situation applies. Fish are so underrated in my opinion, so it is always refreshing to talk to a fellow hobbyist about their tank!

This is a aquarium discussion thread.

This thread will include:

Fresh Water Fish

Salt Water Fish

Brackish Fish

Ponds

Invertebrates

Etc

You may post questions involving:

Aquarium Stocking

Tank Mates

PH issues

Nitrate Issues

Breeding Questions

Feeding Questions

Tank Size suggestions

Etc

[COLOR=FF0000]Prohibited Behavior:

You may not try to sell or link to pages selling your fish

NO Live food videos

No trolling. You may make suggestions but you may not continuously harass someone

If your fish is sick you may post a photo of it to help. If it is very graphic please give a warning in the post before you post it.

NO Hi jacking.
[/COLOR]

Feel free to share your aquarium pictures, knowledge, and more.

Here's my introduction. You may make one if you would like

Username:Kevin565

Years keeping fish: A few years

A few species you have kept: Danios, Goldfish, Cichilids (African and South american), Live bearers, Bettas

Favorite Species: I love them all but one of my favorite is Frontosa

How many tanks do you currently have: 5

Do you have other creatures besides fish? Yes I'm a big fan of snails and shrimp

Any Advice for people new to fish keeping? Don't rush. Slowly stock your tank. Also you should research what kind of tank you would like before purchase. Example: Reef tank, Community, Semi Aggressive, African Cichlid, Cold Water, Etc
I'm doing this on a mobile apologies if it doesn't look right lol. My reef tank is being a bit of a pest and the po4 is around 0.06. My question is. I got live sand that said from the sea bed. Natural sea water us around this mark some stating 0.07. And sand is porous. Could this be why the rowaphos and Nopox isn't bringing it down. Only wanted this at around 0.03. But I think it has just reached equilibrium based on the natural sea water phosphates ?

I gave away the piranha/pacu fish this morning, so I don't need to worry about him any more. Feel free to correct me on any of these fish. Here's what I believe to be a long finned black skirt tetra with a red phantom tetra in the background. I believe that this guy is a bala shark. (He's missing his pectoral fins and most of his dorsal fin) She was hiding most of the time, so I wasn't able to get a good picture of the Cory. You can't really tell how big she is based on this picture. Here's one of the mystery fish. He's not very big, and his tail fin is split down the middle. Also, I'm pretty sure he has teeth. Here's another mystery fish. He's long, silver, and has a round head. In the cooler was 1 pacu/piranha, 2 black skirt tetras, 2 red phantom tetras, 1 cory, 1 plecostomus, 2 bala sharks, and 2 mystery fish. Other than the pacu/piranha, they are all in a temporary 20 gallon tank for isolation.
The first one is a blank widow tetra and that's a male :) the silver shark will get large. Mine got to about 12cm long in the 350 litre. :)

I got to join in here I have no one to talk fishies with :).

Username:A881e

Years keeping fish: i started when I was 16 with a little livebearer tank with the usual guppies tetras and mollies platys etc. then changed that to a larger 300 litre freshwater and had several species of pleccos and catfish gouramis and sharks clown loaches etc. I've had these 17 years I've had the Malawi tank for about 5 years and the Marine tank only 3 years.

A few species you have kept: Livebearers. American and African cichlids. Gouramis. Gobies. Clown fish. Clown loaches. Angelfish. Wrasse. Pictish catfish. LPS and SPS coral inc softies. Paradise fish. Bettas

Favorite Species: the clownfish. True perc and black perc

How many tanks do you currently have: 3

Do you have other creatures besides fish? Christmas tree worm. Feather duster worm. Hermit crabs. Cleaner/skunk shrimp and fire shrimp

Any Advice for people new to fish keeping? Reef tanks are expensive lol

Marine gets one a day v small amount and copepod supplement for mandarin fish monthly. Freshwater tanks once a day and occasional treat of blood worms

Back
Top Bottom