BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Hey everyone!

We'd really like to build out the breeds section of BYC to contain more information about more breeds of chickens.

We had our breed page design contest a while ago and got some really great pages added to BYC.

In the near future I'd like to have another breeds page contest and have this (and the coop design contest) be a re-occurring part of BYC.

The question I have regarding breed pages is this: Where does / can the information come from? We definitely don't want to violate any copyright laws, but there must be ways to gather information from proper sources legally and ethically, no?

So, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the topic of breed pages. I'd love a general brainstorming of ideas on breeds, page format, who, what where, when, etc.
big_smile.png

We'd love to have some really amazing breed page resources available by late Winter in time for all the excitement in early Spring when everyone will be looking for new chicks!

I look forward to your thoughts and suggestions!

-----------UPDATE----------

1) Can some of you create sample template ideas using the BYC Pages tool? Maybe create a page on a breed of your choice... kill two birds with one stone
wink.png

2) I'll work with my programmer to create something similar to the coops page, but for breed pages. This will help us organize everything in a great way.

3) Everyone PLEASE start collecting information for your own breed pages!!!

4) If anybody that wants to be a Project Manager for this (I'll need lots of help), please send me a PM with your qualifications!
big_smile.png

--------------UPDATE 2 ------------------

Call to action: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1790177#p1790177
big_smile.png

I have seen Standards for breeds like Silkies posted on some peoples individual websites and yahoo chicken sites too.. I have no idea if you have to get permission from anyone to post it. I think having a area where to talk about a subject like, take for instant split wing or wry tail, have pictures of birds with the problem so if someone hasn't ever seen it before they will understand what is being discussed. Or if they are speaking of a very neat tight wing same thing. Just and idea

Can I make a suggestion, could you make a template that we could enter the information in to that way they would be uniform and look nice? I think it would be very professional looking. Just my 2cents. I will look up plagiarism and copy right laws and see what I can find.

It seems to me that for each breed it would be nice to include a link to the information on any or all of the following places: Henderson's Breed List, Feathersite, and/or (at the very least) the appropriate Breeders Association(s).

Susan

Great ideas, keep them coming!

herechickchick, I especially love the idea of a template where peope can fill in the blanks!! This would be great for basic breed info and also pics (chick, hen, rooster, etc.)

Are we violating copyright if we read up on our breeds and use the standards info?
For example:
If I want to breed Mille Fleur d'Uccles, and if I allow BYC to use my photos and discuss why my birds conform to show standards, how can that infringe on copyright laws?

And if you don't copy the history verbatim from any source, then how can that infringe? And can you get around it by citing the source? (Free advertising for the source)

I know APA loves their big [expensive] poultry book, and would probably not be very happy with all of their "Standard of Perfection" quoted and distributed for free on the internet. MyPetChicken does a decent job of providing basic information about breeds. Perhaps you could look there for ideas or inspiration. I wonder if the APA or MyPetChicken would be interested in partnering with BYC to some extent to provide information, perhaps in exchange for providing a link such as "Purchase Barred Rocks at MyPetChicken!" at the bottom of the page.

I also suggest contacting individual breed clubs and asking someone to submit something to be added to BYC. In the process, you'd get the word out about BYC to more people.

I also think that you should incorporate the picture project that some BYCers are doing with the photos of different breeds of chickens at different ages. It makes sense to include the age photos with the breed information. Photos of eggs laid by various breeds would also be helpful.

I do not think quoting the standard of perfection is necessary (I do not think the mission of this project it to educate people on the standard of perfection, with the exception of weights). Each page could have the Title (name of the Breed) a history paragraph and a personality profile (I think each profile should end with a kind of disclaimer like "Like humans chickens have thier own unique personalities and may not subscribe to the personality traits listed above.").

Nifty I am glad you like the idea of the template. I think it would make creating these pages easy for the members. I also think it will make this more of a community project if more than one person can help with the same page rather than 4 pages on Orpingtons by 4 different people.

Just my 2 cents.

So I have thought about this all day and this is what I have come up with. I made a mock up of a page. Now I do not know anything about web design so this may not even be doable but this is what I was thinking. Having three photo boxes so that only 3 photos that are the same size can be uploaded or inserted into the boxes. A text box for the text and links at the bottom of the page.

BreedPagetemplete.jpg

By having a link at the bottom to the APA and or ABA, people who are interested in showing could get the information on their own. That way we are not in violation of any copyright laws.

Also when you click on the "Breeds" link it would be nice to open to:
Large Fowl Breeds A-M
Large Fowl Breeds L-Z

Bantam Breeds A-M
Bantam Breeds L-Z

Breed Club Home Pages

I think having the Breed Club Homepages links would be great as we are always posting them as a resource for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom