BYC Café

When do you move BB?
The plan is around June 15th. I've already taken three mini-van loads up. I'm a volunteer transporter between Ohio and NY for a guide dog non profit.....I've done that for 10 years. So any time I get a guide dog run to NY I load the van and travel the two extra hours to my future home and drop stuff off. That way I get things out of my house (so I can paint and get new flooring) and it will make the final move easier. It's a process....

The plan is around June 15th. I've already taken three mini-van loads up. I'm a volunteer transporter between Ohio and NY for a guide dog non profit.....I've done that for 10 years. So any time I get a guide dog run to NY I load the van and travel the two extra hours to my future home and drop stuff off. That way I get things out of my house (so I can paint and get new flooring) and it will make the final move easier. It's a process....

Moving is a hassle no two ways about that! I've done 2 long distance moves and they are rough.

What sort of guide dogs do you transport? (Sorry if you've already said.)

Moving is a hassle no two ways about that! I've done 2 long distance moves and they are rough.

What sort of guide dogs do you transport? (Sorry if you've already said.)
Well I go up and pick up puppies for the volunteer raisers here in Ohio....we have two regions of raisers ....eastern and western Ohio. Then after the raisers complete their 18 months of puppy raising while attending weekly classes....I transport the 18 month old dogs back to NY to the guide dog school. They are evaluated, trained, and matched with their visually impaired handler. It's mostly labs....but a few GSDs. They've been breeding their own for decades.

Well I go up and pick up puppies for the volunteer raisers here in Ohio....we have two regions of raisers ....eastern and western Ohio. Then after the raisers complete their 18 months of puppy raising while attending weekly classes....I transport the 18 month old dogs back to NY to the guide dog school. They are evaluated, trained, and matched with their visually impaired handler. It's mostly labs....but a few GSDs. They've been breeding their own for decades.

Will you continue to do that once you move? Seems like a long jaunt between Ohio, New York and Connecticut.

Will you continue to do that once you move? Seems like a long jaunt between Ohio, New York and Connecticut.
Yes...it's 2 hours from the CT location to the breeding kennel then 10 hours to Ohio. I hope to continue as long as I'm able to drive ....I'm in my late 60s. I hope to do east to west runs instead of west to east. My complication is that I currently am the trainer at my friend's boarding facility so when I do volunteer runs he keeps my dogs. I won't have that luxury in CT.

I have a dear friend who lost her mom in Sept and she's really struggling....but she came and joined us at Panera last night and I could tell it did her good to get out and chat with others who have been there.

She has my sympathy. I lost my mother in August, and hardly a day goes by without something happening that I would like to talk with her about. Share this with your friend, wouldja?:hugs

@Bunnylady hope that things are good today. Did you ever hear from the parents of the kids ?

No, nothing from the parents, yet.

On the bright side, Moon got some banamine (NSAID) and SMZ's (antibiotics) this morning. I dissolved the SMZ's in some apple juice (a trick I learned with Betsy) and gave it to her in a syringe. She was like, "hey, that's yummy! Got any more?" So I filled the syringe with apple juice and gave her that, too. Don't know if she's up to eating, yet, but it looks like fluids won't be a problem!

Sour, we had BLT's for dinner last night and I thought of your homegrown tomatoes. Ours were store-bought, but still a good sandwich.

I've started buying the little Campari tomatoes at the store. Only store-bought 'maters I've tried that I thought were tasty enough to be worthy of being in a BLT.

She has my sympathy. I lost my mother in August, and hardly a day goes by without something happening that I would like to talk with her about. Share this with your friend, wouldja?:hugs
I will and thank you. She and her mom were inseparable...she took her everywhere with her...they talked several times a day. Now she says "everywhere I go...I'm alone and so aware that it's never going to be the same". It's such a painful process and so personal...we each deal with it in our own way. I lost my mom in 1994 and I can still have moments that bring tears. It's a connection that is like no other.

On the bright side, Moon got some banamine (NSAID) and SMZ's (antibiotics) this morning. I dissolved the SMZ's in some apple juice (a trick I learned with Betsy) and gave it to her in a syringe. She was like, "hey, that's yummy! Got any more?" So I filled the syringe with apple juice and gave her that, too. Don't know if she's up to eating, yet, but it looks like fluids won't be a problem!

I've started buying the little Campari tomatoes at the store. Only store-bought 'maters I've tried that I thought were tasty enough to be worthy of being in a BLT.
Unfortunately most dog trainers do not train for livestock.

Bunny, best wishes for a speedy recovery with Moon. It's nice she likes her apple juice meds!

Back
Top Bottom