BYC Café

my second hatch of the season is underway... and I'm like a kid on Christmas eve, it's ridiculous! :lol:
Mine too!
I saw one teeny tiny face peeking out from under Roni. I don't want to move her to check for more because she's an evil wench and had drawn blood on me more than once. I also don't want her to be so frantic that she accidentally hurts a chick or a hatching egg.

Another morning for hot coffee, sweats, sleeves, and socks!
It's been a wonderfully cool few days...now we ramp up for another week long(er) heat wave. At least the nights will be down in the 70's, that gets me thru the days.
Every day this month it has been 90° OR more, and no rain.

Their mother moved them under my mom's deck 4 days ago. I started feeding them 2 days ago. Mom disappeared this morning.
IMG_20200714_203510573.jpg

I hope you have a very good hatch!
thank you! so do I...
I don't want to move her to check for more
ditto. I don't think this one would panic/fly into a reckless defence (my other broody def would), but lifting her during a hatch just to satisfy my curiosity seems wrong to me; I just have to sit on my hands till she's good 'n' ready - it's really hard!

Good morning Cafe.
Coffee is made.
I expect the expectants will have been up all night listening for shell cracking noises so I've made the coffee on the strong side.
I don't usually have problems with the sitting hens until after they've left the nest. I carefully slide my hand under the front of the hen keeping the hand low at all times, and gently lift here a couple of inches, enough to check the number of broken shells.
This often wont let you see the chicks because they wedge themselves under the wings etc, but it does mean you can get an idea of what's going on. You may get a few half hearted pecks.
Like this. As long as I don't use two hands and don't try to lift them off the nest the physical assaults are minimal.:p
P7154182.JPG

thanks for the tip Shad - and the strong coffee!
Sadly my nesting boxes are not as accessible (and yes, I have read your excellent piece on why do we make a sitting hen's job so hard, but the rest of the family do not want chickens in the kitchen, can't think why - oh yes, I know - POOP!!!) :th so I'll just have to be patient. :pop That's good for the soul anyway.

Back
Top Bottom