BYC Café

I just got my first harvest from my garden! :eek:

We're running low on onions, so I thought I'd see about digging up some Egyptian Walking Onions. Yup, got some!

Made a really great frittata with lots of home grown ingredients. Eggs, onions, garlic, jalapenos, garlic scapes. Aided and abetted by store bought broccoli, carrots, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper.

I just got my first harvest from my garden! :eek:

We're running low on onions, so I thought I'd see about digging up some Egyptian Walking Onions. Yup, got some!

Made a really great frittata with lots of home grown ingredients. Eggs, onions, garlic, jalapenos, garlic scapes. Aided and abetted by store bought broccoli, carrots, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper.
Sounds delicious!

@DobieLover, Remind me in August, and I will send you some planting bulbs.

The entire plant is edible. The leaves are like green onions, the topsets are tiny little onions that would be great for pickled onions, if you like/make them. I harvest the greens sparingly, taking a leaf here and there. The topsets can be used any time, or saved to plant more plants or send to a friend.

As they grow, the bulbs will turn into a "clump," and get bigger. I have taken half a clump, and had the clump regrow. If you dig up the whole clump, then that one is done. So when I dig them up, I am thinning out the bed.

Here are some pictures. As I said, these are shallot-type onions.
IMG_2517.JPG

These are the topsets. A big one is the size of my thumbnail. Each one of these little bulblets will grow a clump. Plant in the late summer/early fall.
IMG_2518.JPG

This is my EWO bed.
IMG_2466.JPG

Back
Top Bottom