BYC Café

Yeah, the rear ones I don’t think are attached to anything and can usually be pretty floppy and useless. The front ones are usually attached pretty well and I’ve seen them use them a lot. Of course, tons of dogs do tear them but dogs tear other toe nails too.

In my experience with beagles hind dewclaws are attached about 85 % of the time. When removing at 3 days it is essential to also remove the little nub of bone they are attached to. I'll probably jinx myself with this, but I routinely trim dog nails and have to deal with torn toe nails very infrequently. For me it comes down to proper maintenance of the dogs' feet. Something that is essential for hunting hounds.

Last pic for today.
The persimmon tree is still fruiting. Just to cheer up all you suffering from minus numbers in the temperature department, snow and ice, look at the glorious blue sky. Taken today.
P1182093.JPG

Buy some quik stop... It'll save you a lot of time. I have that stuff handy at all times. It stops the bleeding quickly and seals up the quik.

If I ran to the vet every time my dogs broke a nail, I'd be at the vet weekly.
I have quick stop, but she was left with part of a nail hanging and wouldn't allow me to cut it off. The veterinarian has lidocaine. :D

Last pic for today.
The persimmon tree is still fruiting. Just to cheer up all you suffering from minus numbers in the temperature department, snow and ice, look at the glorious blue sky. Taken today.
View attachment 2005450
Thanks for all the lovely pictures this morning! Definitely cheered me up. Been spending time reading about cockerel management. They are little hormonal crazies right now, and I want them to grow into manageable roosters.

Back
Top Bottom