BYC Café

Well done on the "no tears" thing....you've got this! Butchering may be a taller order?
I'm not sure. I did have to off a duck not long ago and it didn't bother me. It had a defect that couldn't be fixed it had to do with spine issues and it started getting really bad. We buried it and no tears were shed. I'm a huge animal person, but I'd rather my family eat the chickens I raise than but it from the store.

I'm not sure. I did have to off a duck not long ago and it didn't bother me. It had a defect that couldn't be fixed it had to do with spine issues and it started getting really bad. We buried it and no tears were shed. I'm a huge animal person, but I'd rather my family eat the chickens I raise than but it from the store.
I agree.

No, but I've seen a very mad hen 😂 My polish got attacked by a hawk and I wanted to check her for injuries. She tore my hand up, but I didn't let go until I knew she was okay.

None of my chickens have gone broody yet but when they do I won't need my incubator anymore 😁
How many do you have and how old are they?
Last year I had three 14 mo old hens go broody, 2 multiple times. Then when the pullets started laying, 3 of them went broody... in early winter!!

Bacon, sausage and pepperoni .. Yes we cook entire package of bacon real crisp, cut to small bites. Sausage is next jimmy dean hot sausage (not very) I add red pepper flakes .. We are able to buy mini pepperoni now, as the sausage is done put the pepperoni in .. add back the cut bacon .. I use Pesto I made with mustard greens freeze it to keep using it as I need it ...
we buy bags of shredded Mozzarella each month we do shop at Costco
I'd eat that pizza through my phone screen if I could.

I have 10 pullets between the ages of 8 weeks and 10 months. I also have 2 RSL that are a year and a half.
Broody hatching is the best!
momma and baby-2.jpg
momma and babies.jpg

Yeah I can't wait until mine can hatch some because I have a spare coop they can use that I can lock everyone away from. First broody I see I'm sticking her in it with some eggs 😂

Then they can hatch all my eggs for me and care for the chicks so I have zero Mama hen responsibilities and can enjoy the chicks more. Only thing I have to do is feed and water the hen which I do every day anyways. No worrying if the chicks are too cold or if I need to assist an egg!

Back
Top Bottom