BYC Café

Because she went broody in the layers nest boxes and I wanted her on the ground. So that's were I set her up and gave her eggs to set.
I've not had hens hatch eggs, no rooster here. But I have had broodies raise chicks I got from Meyer. I let them park in the regular nests until they are really comatose ;) then put the brooder piece in the corner of the coop and move the hen there. The top is usually covered with a wire top and a board across it to the hole into the community nest box. They have their own door to the barn alley so the other hens can't get in the brooder area though when I open that door to let the hen and chicks go walkabout the other hens can sneak in and eat the chick starter feed.

P1010057.jpg

June 16 2015.jpg

I've not had hens hatch eggs, no rooster here. But I have had broodies raise chicks I got from Meyer. I let them park in the regular nests until they are really comatose ;) then put the brooder piece in the corner of the coop and move the hen there. The top is usually covered with a wire top and a board across it to the hole into the community nest box. They have their own door to the barn alley so the other hens can't get in the brooder area though when I open that door to let the hen and chicks go walkabout the other hens can sneak in and eat the chick starter feed.

View attachment 2010217

View attachment 2010219
I put Barb in the built-in brooder in my coop. It has a run on it too.
Brooder door open.jpg
Barb first day outside with kids.jpg
Brooder run Fabio.jpg

Back
Top Bottom