BYC Café

Mornin', y'all! :frow

I've just about gotten used to the sneeze guards and now-you-see-product,-now-you-don't stocking issues at the grocery stores, but yesterday, I encountered coronavirus craziness at a whole different level. BB2K wanted to get some hardware cloth for a project, so we stopped at the big box home center down the road from us. I had warned her that it was bound to be busy; all the DIY'ers with time on their hands are getting caught up on the projects they hadn't had time for before. All I can say is, I'm glad she had that idea yesterday.

They had floors near the checkouts marked out with lines and "wait here" boxes; that I expected. What I didn't expect was that they have closed the doors between the "box" and the garden center. Spring is in full flush here, so of course, the garden center is busy anyway, but apparently, everyone and their best friend is doing gardening projects. They have opened a gate that normally is only for trucks doing deliveries and whatnot, and made it the entrance; the area near the checkouts is marked "exit only." They had an employee stationed at the exit acting as a traffic cop, because of course, having to walk al-l-l-l the way down to the furthest end to get in makes no sense under normal circumstances. He said that today, they will be limiting how many people can be in there at one time, which means lines at the checkout and lines just to go in. He said that last Saturday, some folks got a bit testy, but when he told me how much they had done in sales just through the garden center, I had to agree, they need to do something to keep some space between the customers. "Stay at home" doesn't mean we are under house arrest, but we all need to use our noggins, y'know? If you can't time your visit to avoid the crowds, you need to be patient and cooperate with people who are doing the best they can under conditions nobody ever expected!

Mornin', y'all! :frow

I've just about gotten used to the sneeze guards and now-you-see-product,-now-you-don't stocking issues at the grocery stores, but yesterday, I encountered coronavirus craziness at a whole different level. BB2K wanted to get some hardware cloth for a project, so we stopped at the big box home center down the road from us. I had warned her that it was bound to be busy; all the DIY'ers with time on their hands are getting caught up on the projects they hadn't had time for before. All I can say is, I'm glad she had that idea yesterday.

They had floors near the checkouts marked out with lines and "wait here" boxes; that I expected. What I didn't expect was that they have closed the doors between the "box" and the garden center. Spring is in full flush here, so of course, the garden center is busy anyway, but apparently, everyone and their best friend is doing gardening projects. They have opened a gate that normally is only for trucks doing deliveries and whatnot, and made it the entrance; the area near the checkouts is marked "exit only." They had an employee stationed at the exit acting as a traffic cop, because of course, having to walk al-l-l-l the way down to the furthest end to get in makes no sense under normal circumstances. He said that today, they will be limiting how many people can be in there at one time, which means lines at the checkout and lines just to go in. He said that last Saturday, some folks got a bit testy, but when he told me how much they had done in sales just through the garden center, I had to agree, they need to do something to keep some space between the customers. "Stay at home" doesn't mean we are under house arrest, but we all need to use our noggins, y'know? If you can't time your visit to avoid the crowds, you need to be patient and cooperate with people who are doing the best they can under conditions nobody ever expected!
You ain't seen nothing yet.:lau And, I hope in some ways you don't get to see it.
There are no hardware stores open here. There are police at the main supermarkets.
The Spanish having been food growers for centuries. How about this bit of stupidity in times of shortages.
https://www.catalannews.com/life-st...emove-ban-on-visiting-allotments-gains-ground

DIY and garden centres shut here too - while loads of people are stuck at home with nothing to do, ruing the lost opportunity for a bit of DIY or gardening. And for horticulturists, this is traditionally the busiest time of year; it is such a shame. There must be a better way to limit the spread of this disease.

DIY and garden centres shut here too - while loads of people are stuck at home with nothing to do, ruing the lost opportunity for a bit of DIY or gardening. And for horticulturists, this is traditionally the busiest time of year; it is such a shame. There must be a better way to limit the spread of this disease.
Our home improvement centers are still open. I'm heading there this morning for more supplies for dad's house.
What they have done at Lowe's is to install plexi-glass barriers between the cashier and the customer. After checking out a customer, they spray sanitizer on the counter and the credit card pad and wipe it down then sanitize their gloved hands.
Everyone is instructed to maintain a 6' distance from others.
Our stores aren't crazy.... yet.

Good morning, Cafe.
It's dreary here this morning.
I just sold 4 hens and feel like crap about it. I know I have to keep the numbers to within what my setup can comfortably hold and I already have my first broody but I don't like letting them go. I just keep telling myself that I'm helping someone else learn the joys of keeping chickens.
And just to make sure the gods of crappy days have been clear with me, Bella crapped on the deck.
Good morning. I can only imagine selling off any hens from my flock, it would be devastating for me. :hugs

Morning Cafe new pot of black coffee here .. As cockerel went. let the gal have take one of my
Cochin just in time to see Smudge beat the tar out of the other Cochin grabbing her neck
and all... Going to Move her to the main coop .. Cochin baby black and white passed last night that was a real bummer

Morning Cafe new pot of black coffee here .. As cockerel went. let the gal have take one of my
Cochin just in time to see Smudge beat the tar out of the other Cochin grabbing her neck
and all... Going to Move her to the main coop .. Cochin baby black and white passed last night that was a real bummer
Sorry Penny, I lost two from the latest hatch. One was a stuck chick I helped, and the other seemed fine.

Back
Top Bottom