BYC Café

Here's the gooseberry leaves. I know, teeny tiny, but oh so green!
IMG_20200408_113610.jpg

Oh, wow. It looks like it's growing great! Did you put the cutting in water to form roots first or just stick it in the ground? I'd like to take a cutting from these ones at work and plant it at home. They grow really well.

Love all the greenery around your place. Can't wait till it's like that here. It's trying :)

Looks like the boys are getting along, okay!

Oh, wow. It looks like it's growing great! Did you put the cutting in water to form roots first or just stick it in the ground? I'd like to take a cutting from these ones at work and plant it at home. They grow really well.

Love all the greenery around your place. Can't wait till it's like that here. It's trying :)

Looks like the boys are getting along, okay!
I do fruit bush cuttings like this.
I pick a low branch and bend it into a small trench in the ground and peg it in after cutting a small one inch long notch in the buried part. Stake the free end to give it some support. The bent part underground grows it's own roots while still getting nutrition from the parent bush. I do this in November and the next spring I cut the new shoot from the parent plant and plant that in a new location with composted soil.
I do tree cutting in a similar manner by partially cutting a branch and stripping a bit of bark back. I wrap wood ash and compost in a cotton rag around the cut and tie the ends. Basically making a bandage on a branch.

I do fruit bush cuttings like this.
I pick a low branch and bend it into a small trench in the ground and peg it in after cutting a small one inch long notch in the buried part. Stake the free end to give it some support. The bent part underground grows it's own roots while still getting nutrition from the parent bush. I do this in November and the next spring I cut the new shoot from the parent plant and plant that in a new location with composted soil.
I do tree cutting in a similar manner by partially cutting a branch and stripping a bit of bark back. I wrap wood ash and compost in a cotton rag around the cut and tie the ends. Basically making a bandage on a branch.
Awesome. Thank you for the great explanation! I will have to give it a go next fall.

We've cut branches off of our golden willows and shoved them into the ground at the pond and they do really well. Would do better if the cows would quit stepping on them :rolleyes:

Last edited:
ron temps sound like Texas, do you have rattlesnakes too??
Yes! We have timber rattlers and valley rattlers.

One of my Aunts was bitten by one years ago by the Sacramento River. It was scary but she lived through it

Ooo, loving all the green, Shad! Gorgeous!

Spring is one of my favorite seasons. I love watching everything come to life. :)
Everything burst into bloom a couple of weeks ago. It tends to stay green here during the winter. This year we've had a lot of winter rain and a bit of sun was all it took.

Back
Top Bottom