BYC Café

Lots of feathers out there,
more feathers than turds,
*way* more feathers than eggs!

Was thinking this morning, while sifting the poop boards,
about starting a thread titled "What's on Your Poop Board?"
A play on the credit card slogan "Whats in Your Wallet".
Have long loved the observations that can be so revealing when using a poop board.
If the eyes are the windows to the soul, the poops are the windows to the body. :gig
This morning there were lots of feathers, some get stuck in the sifter basket which is a PITA.
Also lots of flakes of new feather sheathing, some blackish-some whitish.
Not many poops, they just aren't eating much, not sure if I should worry about that, and do something, or not. Might mix up a dose of vitamin water this afternoon.

same here Sour. Got up early for the bus to the grocery store, then dispatcher called to say the driver was sick. She was just fine yesterday.:hit

It's drizzly here, gray, cold- just plain icky.:sick . My squirrel Danny hasn't shown up, :idunno I even bought more ears of corn for him. He also loves dehydrated banana slices. Love him - he is a small, young gray squirrel, or possibly a female :confused:. Very shy and afraid of other squirrels, and everything else.

Last edited:
Lots of feathers out there,
more feathers than turds,
*way* more feathers than eggs!

Was thinking this morning, while sifting the poop boards,
about starting a thread titled "What's on Your Poop Board?"
A play on the credit card slogan "Whats in Your Wallet".
Have long loved the observations that can be so revealing when using a poop board.
If the eyes are the windows to the soul, the poops are the windows to the body. :gig
This morning there were lots of feathers, some get stuck in the sifter basket which is a PITA.
Also lots of flakes of new feather sheathing, some blackish-some whitish.
Not many poops, they just aren't eating much, not sure if I should worry about that, and do something, or not. Might mix up a dose of vitamin water this afternoon.
Luckily I only have 4 hens but even the two currently moulting leave a lot of feathers!

same here Sour. Got up early for the bus to the grocery store, then dispatcher called to say the driver was sick. She was just fine yesterday.:hit

It's drizzly here, gray, cold- just plain icky.:sick . My squirrel Danny hasn't shown up, :idunno I even bought more ears of corn for him. He also loves dehydrated banana slices. Love him - he is a small, young gray squirrel, or possibly a female :confused:. Very shy and afraid of other squirrels, and everything else.
:pop are you waiting for a call from a contact tracer now?

I'm mostly past the poop boards covered in feathers. The corners of the coop are piled with them. The 3 worst hens have yet to molt.
Peanut is 2.5 years old and hasn't had an adult molt yet. She looks wretched!
Seneca and Alicia are my sexy hens whose back feathers were worn out by the boys when Captain was still here. I'm impatiently waiting to see their feathers on the boards.

The weather's horrid, the flock are miserable molting, covid19 is surging across the country, and we can't go anywhere or do anything because of lock-down :(. But fresh whole salmon was going cheap in the supermarket yesterday (just under £9 for one that will feed 6 generously) and we enjoyed it with a teriyaki sauce tonight :drool; thank goodness for small treats!

evening all :frow
thanks for the tea Shad; just the ticket now. Glad to hear you got your gnashers sorted.
How about the fungus on one of your coops you mentioned a couple of weeks back? Was it a simple removal or something more embedded in the fabric?

It's been wet and cold here (relatively speaking; everything from drizzle to hail to thunder on and off, and about 10 C/50 F) and apparently it's gonna carry on like this for the next 5 days +... Yuk! The poor chickens are having to endure more darkness than daylight anyway at this time of year, and they're all miserable because they're molting; it would be nice for them if it was at least dry while it's light!
It's going to be new panels and roof on one coop. It suffered some damage when it got blown over by the breeze we get here from time to time. So did a high sided van on the next farm down so I guess a gust or two were pretty strong.
The fungusy stuff seems to only be on two coops.

Back
Top Bottom