BYC Café

Okay, now I am tired! Shoveled and then shoveled some more. I am officially ready for Monday's snow. Somehow, I don't think they will be wrong on this one.
  • Monday

Monday: Snow, mainly after 1pm. The snow could be heavy at times.  High near 29. West wind 8 to 13 mph becoming east northeast in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 21 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Chance Snow
    then Heavy
    Snow
    High: 29 °F
  • Monday
    Night
    Monday Night: Snow, mainly before 1am. The snow could be heavy at times.  Low around 11. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Heavy Snow
    Low: 11 °F

Okay, now I am tired! Shoveled and then shoveled some more. I am officially ready for Monday's snow. Somehow, I don't think they will be wrong on this one.
  • Monday

Monday: Snow, mainly after 1pm. The snow could be heavy at times.  High near 29. West wind 8 to 13 mph becoming east northeast in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 21 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Chance Snow
    then Heavy
    Snow
    High: 29 °F
  • Monday
    Night
    Monday Night: Snow, mainly before 1am. The snow could be heavy at times.  Low around 11. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Heavy Snow
    Low: 11 °F
Margie, make sure no Yeti steps by. With this weather forecast he might feel comfortable enough to pay a visit.
1618695405264.png

I'm curious about others' experiences with "chicken sitters." My neighbor (the one who got 16 chicks a week ago) will be chicken sitting while we're on vacation in a month. No one, not even my husband, has taken care of the chickens but me. Hubby has gone into the run a few times, but I'm the one who feeds them and cleans the coop.

We'll be gone for a week. All I'm going to ask her to do is: open the pop door, and put out fresh feed and water in the run in the morning. Evening will be take out the food and close the pop door. If it's before sunrise/after sunset, the chickens will be in the coop.

Opinions and suggestions from y'all about any of this:

1) If she gets up later and it's daylight and the chickens are out... I'm thinking the hens will run away, but the rooster may come at her. Incentive to get up early...? I'll tell her to wear jeans.

2) Poop management will be poop boards clean and fresh before I leave, and I'll deal with the poop when I get back. I'll remind her to watch her step in the run.

3) Bio security. She now has week old chicks, but they'll be 5 1/2 weeks old by then. I don't know if they'll still be in her house, or if they'll be outside. I can ask her to change her shoes, and if she says she will, I will trust her to do so. Anything else I should request?

4) Will my chickens remember me...? They aren't lap chickens (though if I didn't have a roo, the girls might be or might be allowed to be friendlier), but they will come up to me for treats, and they talk to me through the fence.

I didn't realize I'd gotten so attached to them. I'm going to miss them while I'm gone.

But I'll get to sleep past dawn...
How about installing an automatic coop door?

Back
Top Bottom