BYC Café

Good morning everyone!

Grab a mug and have some freshly brewed coffee with me. :caf

Today I have to spring clean the last of my (too many) coops, and then I will be done for two month but for the daily poop board scooping. :yesss:

Yesterday evening I candled the eggs: 38 of 40 are fertile and developing well, which is way more than I need or even expected. Obviously, neither the flockdown nor the cold reduced the fertility rate. 😳

Good morning Cafe and thanks for the coffee, LF! We've got a bright sunny day up on tap. I need to check to see if the pallet manufacturer has a crate of scrap. We're getting low again with all this stupid sub-freezing weather.

Tate is still here but locked up. I will meet his future owner this morning at 9:30. Remington definitely didn't seem as skittish at lock up last night.

I'm trying something new today. I hope someone here has some insight. (I posted a thread, but would like some more opinions, if possible.)

I have a rooster, so I feed 20% protein all flock, egg shells and OS on the side. My girls don't seem to eat OS at all. They happily munch the egg shells. Last week, I bought a different brand of OS, to see if they like it. It seems that they don't.

Their egg shells seem thin. I have found two with holes that I'm pretty sure are from a hen poking an egg back underneath her. She broke the shell, but not the membrane, so no eating or damage.

The yolks break about half the time when I crack them. That's a problem for hubby's over easy eggs.

Someone suggested I take out the egg shells on the side, and just leave the OS. I'm trying that today. Their main treat is their food wetted into mash. about 3x a week, they get greens/weeds/melon guts with seeds.

Any suggestions?

I'm trying something new today. I hope someone here has some insight. (I posted a thread, but would like some more opinions, if possible.)

I have a rooster, so I feed 20% protein all flock, egg shells and OS on the side. My girls don't seem to eat OS at all. They happily munch the egg shells. Last week, I bought a different brand of OS, to see if they like it. It seems that they don't.

Their egg shells seem thin. I have found two with holes that I'm pretty sure are from a hen poking an egg back underneath her. She broke the shell, but not the membrane, so no eating or damage.

The yolks break about half the time when I crack them. That's a problem for hubby's over easy eggs.

Someone suggested I take out the egg shells on the side, and just leave the OS. I'm trying that today. Their main treat is their food wetted into mash. about 3x a week, they get greens/weeds/melon guts with seeds.

Any suggestions?
Mix the egg shell in with the OS.
Might try sprinkling some OS on the ground, maybe with some scratch.
Might try sprinkling a dozen pieces of OS on top of the feed trough.
These are all things I did the one time I had laying pullets separated from the flock.

Back
Top Bottom