BYC Café

Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.
Yesterday's storms never materialized. I wish I had gotten some wash on the line. Today I will make up for it. I now get to spend some quality time on the phone trying to reach the IRS... again. It took them 13 months to process my 2019 return. It's been over 5 months for the 2020 return so I'm jumping on it early this year to try to avoid all the issues I had last year when they didn't process my return. What fun!
Will they have to pay interest at least?

Good afternoon everyone!

Another hot and very humid day after the night's rain, sweat is running like right out of the shower, even with minor tasks.🙄

The transition of the two 8 weeks olds into the big outdoor enclosure of the now 11 week olds went well.
The black pullet is still a bit intimidated when the bigger pullets jump up on the fencing, but in the evening one of the blue girls comes out several times of the coop trying to herd them in.
So I might abridge the "see but no touch time" and just remove the inner fencing. They will still be able to sleep in their own little coop if they choose so, but would have the option to really mingle and spend the night with the big sisters in their big girl coop too.

1627302320471.jpeg

1627302422446.jpeg

1627302384714.jpeg

1627302242734.jpeg

In the last picture you can see the brand new netting where the owl got entangled the other night.

S/he lives in the special aviary at a wild life rehabber now that has another owl with only one eye, so they can keep each other company until s/he heals completely and we will go to get her/him back and set her/him free in our wood again, where her/his partner is waiting and calling every night for her/him

Last edited:
Good morning and thanks for the coffee. I am having lunch with my SIL and one of my DILs. Girls' day out! Maybe rain here, maybe not because the monsoons are a persnickety beast. I have a fresh set of shoes on the horse and now no excuses for not putting the miles on them. Wrestling practice starts up, hard to believe, two weeks from now, and if all goes according to plan, DS$ should have his D. license and be able to drive himself most days. :wee
Enjoy the day, CAFE, and I hope it goes well, DL.

Good morning, Cafe'. @LaFleche , what aerial predators do you have to deal with?
  • Goshawks
  • Red kites
  • Buzzards
  • Rough-legged hawks
  • Sparrow hawks
  • All kinds of falcons
  • Barn owls
  • Eagle owls
  • Tawny owls
ETA: Crows and ravens

Although the owls will only hunt from dusk to dawn, they would get the ones that prefer to roost high up in the branches of the cherry and walnut trees instead of sleeping in the coops.

@LaFleche What material is that clear door in the 3rd pic?
Acrylic glas, so I will be able to close the door during thunderstorm downpours or snowstorms.
Underneath the coop two sides are framed with acrylic glas as well to allow for nice and draft free dust bathing.

This coop has four permanent openings for ventilation: the two smaller ones above the awning and two really big ones underneath, all covered by heavy hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom