BYC Café

Enough of fires and explosions!
More chicks and pissy daddies!
Five chicks. She's not giving up on the last egg yet. No pip. I'll candle tonight and see what I can see.
IMG_20210804_192226609.jpg

The must have "chick under the butt fluff" shot.
IMG_20210804_192059536.jpg

Fabio NEVER goes up on the perch on front of the nest boxes. He wants IN to see those kids and I won't let him yet. He was giving me attitude while I collected his unhatched children to bring inside to eat.
IMG_20210804_192433100.jpg

Last edited:
Well, looking at these, I can see what a hodge-podge I have!

#1 is the end of the original part of the run. I plan to leave the outside frame. The skinny door, its frame, and the horizontal pieces at waist height will come out. So will the fence/HC that is attached to them. The wood is 2x4s, ripped lengthwise. (To save wood and money; it's plenty sturdy because the metal frame is pretty substantial.)

#2 is the frame for the door that I need to build. It's 24" wide and 5'10" tall. I'm 5'6", so tall enough for me and DH can duck a little. 5'10" is also the length of the vertical pieces in the old door. That door is 21" wide (I don't know why DH made it that skinny! To keep me from putting on weight?) and it's a pain to get stuff in.

Yes, the door needs to be slightly narrower and shorter than the opening. How much? Is half an inch enough? Too much?

Today was also wash day.

Attachments

• IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    955.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1423.JPG
    IMG_1423.JPG
    979.4 KB · Views: 3
Got the Marans pullets banded tonight, they were getting big enough for it to be hard to tell them apart for the older birds. Tho it might be kinda moot as many of the older birds have lost their bands so I don't know who is whom, at least amongst the black birds.

Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

The 6th egg is a quitter. I took it from her. All but one chick popped out from under her this morning. I drizzled some FR crumble near the nest to encourage her to exit stage left and go feed them. She can just reach the little tray of fermented FR I left for her and she has been feeding them that. She needs to evacuate soon or she's going to foul the futon.

Normally the flock comes off the roost and heads straight out to the run to eat then they jump up on the perches in there and preen and lounge around waiting for me to let them out. This morning, not a single one was out there. They were all loitering in the coop looking in at Astrid and the chicks. Fabio still really wants to go in and see them.

Jody is bare belly broody upstairs. I suppose that is the only downside to this adventure. This will be her 4th or 5th stint in the the clink. I've lost track.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom