BYC Café

Is that true @Alaskan? Do you get eaten alive during the "sun never really sets" months?
Depends.

Alaskan mosquites are weak buggers.

As a result they can't handle even a slight breeze. If wind picks up they hide in tall grass, shrubs and the trees.

A nice forest stroll is often a wall of mosquitoes.

My first house up here was on a flat piece of land. It had very excellent gardening, an orchard, and little breeze. If you went outside it was a swarm of mosquitoes and all their biting insect friends. The only time you weren't swarmed was when there was snow.

I now live in my second Alaska house, up on a BLUFF. There is always at least a bit of breeze, and so rarely any mosquitoes.

Sitting outside at THIS house is a pleasant, usually free of biting insects.

Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

Until I make the automatic door out of the run, I'm going to have to start work from home every day until it's light enough to let the flock out. I can't believe how stinking dark it is out there. I think this every autumn. It isn't like I don't know it's coming...

Someone who lived there told me that the mosquito was "the other state bird." :gig
The hubs did a year at Galena (an Air Force site, rather than a base. Doing snow removal in Alaska. He said they coated their hard hats with baby oil in the summer because the gnats were so bad they'd killed animals, clogging the nostrils. Said the mosquitoes were as bad, but the gnats made him insane.

@Alaskan I can't imagine that first place you lived. We did a few years at Eglin AFB in Florida--love to hike. But only half the year there, too. But like you said, out where there was wind, like there on the water, it was pleasant. I guess that's why base housing was inland, and the expensive real estate was out on the coast. What a difference!

Last edited:
Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

Until I make the automatic door out of the run, I'm going to have to start work from home every day until it's light enough to let the flock out. I can't believe how stinking dark it is out there. I think this every autumn. It isn't like I don't know it's coming...
I am always compelled to comment on the shorter (or longer) daylight hours. Every bloomin year. And the husband is always compelled to comment on the very regular nature of this phenomenon. Every year. Why do we do this?

until it's light enough to let the flock out.
Might get a slight reprieve in a week and a half when we go back to standard time.

Why do we do this?
Because we are stupid?? Leave the dang clocks alone and if a business wants to change the hours of operation they can. Decide which end of the work day you want it to be light. Of course it won't matter in Alaska, going to be dark at both ends in December (sorry Al!!!)

Back
Top Bottom