BYC Café

So you were flipping them to save them from the scavengers?
Do they crawl right off into the water once you flip them?
How do so many end up upside down?
I flip them because the ones still on their backs couldn't get themselves flipped over using their tails and can't get back into the water and will die. Lot's of the crabs have damaged/missing tails or get themselves buried in the sand with their abdominal flap folding up.
For the most part, they go back into the water. Sometimes they end up plowing themselves into the sand. I don't know if they can get back out when the tide comes back in.
I only went about 1.5 miles north and flipped just over 300 crabs. Someone else did the south end after I left because the beach was clear that way when I got back to the house.
The Delaware bay is the largest horseshoe spawning area in the world.
The number of crabs that come to shore to spawn in influenced by the timing of the high tides, the sunset and the moon phase. There should be A LOT of crabs on the beach tomorrow.

Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

I went south along the beach this morning. As I expected, there were lots of stranded crabs. I flipped about 1,000. I didn't even go as far down the beach as I did the first day I got here.
No one has done the north end yet but that end is near the public access so I'm hoping someone works that end.
You can see the tracks in the sand from where I flipped a crab and it made its way down to the water. You can also see where one's got itself buried in the beach.
IMG_20220517_090457189_HDR.jpg

It took me about 2 hours to do what I did. I find it very relaxing and rewarding and I got some exercise before breakfast.
I literally just glanced up at the bay and saw two dolphins lazily swimming by.
I tried to get a picture of them but obviously that's tough to do. But it's a beautiful day here today.
IMG_20220517_090124103_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the coffee! My water plant insulators came in the mail yesterday, just in time for this weekend. I knew that it was a bit early but still :barnie you all have such pretty flowers and spring things going on and this week has been in the 60s. We are to get heavy snow and freezing temps on Friday/ Sat.
Enjoy the Day, Cafe!

Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

I went south along the beach this morning. As I expected, there were lots of stranded crabs. I flipped about 1,000. I didn't even go as far down the beach as I did the first day I got here.
No one has done the north end yet but that end is near the public access so I'm hoping someone works that end.
You can see the tracks in the sand from where I flipped a crab and it made its way down to the water. You can also see where one's got itself buried in the beach.
View attachment 3111630
It took me about 2 hours to do what I did. I find it very relaxing and rewarding and I got some exercise before breakfast.
I literally just glanced up at the bay and saw two dolphins lazily swimming by.
I tried to get a picture of them but obviously that's tough to do. But it's a beautiful day here today.
View attachment 3111629
Thanks for the coffee!

The water looks peaceful today.

Back
Top Bottom