BYC Café

Does DH go crab flipping with you, or is he visiting a relative?
He is still with his brother. We have no firm plans for when I'm going to meet half way to get him and bring him back to the beach house. His other brother is on his way back from FL and wants to see him but he doesn't get home until Saturday. So I'll likely not get him until next Tuesday or Wednesday.
Besides, I booked a trail ride for this coming Saturday morning and he can't do things like that. I'm going to kayaking this week too.
I tried to show him how to flip the crabs last year but he just couldn't get it and I was afraid he was going to end up with one dangling from a finger so instead, he would just walk along with me enjoying the beach while I did the flipping.

A better shot of the protected marsh on the west side of the road.
IMG_20220518_134149234_HDR.jpg

I took about 3 dozen seed potatoes and 10 tomato starts to a friend of mine. On the way home, I went to two Starbucks and came home with a dozen BIG bags of their used coffee grounds. That stuff makes wonderful mulch around blueberries. The grounds aren't very acidic when they're used (so they say on the bag; need to check it myself). I wish they were, to help acidify the soil around the blueberries, as they need it. But it makes a nice thick, water absorbing, light blocking mulch. Keeps down the grass I have to pull out.

When I have that whole bed 3" deep in coffee grounds, I'll start on other parts of the garden. :) I wonder if I'll be the only person picking them up after garden season is over...?

need to check it myself

How will you do that?
I have a pH meter. Add some filtered water to a cup of grounds and see what it says.

I was assuming the soil around my blueberries was acidic, with all the oak leaves and coffee grounds I'd been adding over the years. NOPE! It read about 6.8. No wonder my blueberries were looking pathetic. This spring, I got some sulfur to add, but it can take a YEAR to change the pH. Poor berries... hang in there, please?

Back
Top Bottom