BYC Convention???

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by moonlyghtegirl, Feb 26, 2009.

1. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Has there ever been any consideration of a BYC convention? [​IMG]

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Actually yes, we did start mentioning it a little while ago,,, it's a fabulous idea! We were talking about having 2 or 3 run concurrently or consecutively since we are spread out. East coast, Mid-US and West coast. Or something along that lines. Then of course there is the Canadian contingency and the English endeavor,, the Australian assets,... But it could be done!!!

This was the thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=126009

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I love the idea of doing it consecutively! We could have TV's and webcams with microphones so people at each location could talk to each other in real time and also so people who couldn't attend could watch from their home computers.

Streaming ChickenStock!!!

Now that would be SWEEET!!!

4. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Cool idea!!!!

5. Nifty-Chicken

We'd have to get some monster big temp servers because I'm sure 1,000 people would be tuned in watching all the fun!

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Great idea, would be nice to meet other BYC members.. Maybe even a swap meet there also.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    If we did it concurrently, and a had a couple of big-screen tvs at each location, hooked to a laptop, it would be really neat! Of course,, money,,, money might be a bit of an issue trying to set up something like that. I think it would be worth it though!

8. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    yeah i agrree

9. Nifty-Chicken

I'm sure we could make it work. We'd just need a couple people to bring their own laptops and we could rent wireless cards or go somewhere with wireless internet.

The bigger issue is that since money is tight right now for many it may be hard to get as many people to travel. Maybe we could do more local places (less travel) but more laptops with webcams. There are services that allow up to 6 simultaneous webcam streams to show on one screen.

10. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    I like the idea of regional conventions.....I couldn't attend one in California, but would if it was in the Southeast. I think it would be a hoot seeing people walking around in Big Bird Suites....Instead of "Bike Week" in Florida....."Chicken Poop" in Georgia!
    HappyHatch'en

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by