BYC Debate Thread- What's The Friendliest Chicken Breed?

greatly depends.
I have 5 silkies atm who I handraised from day-olds. None of them are cuddly. But I had a silkie hen in 2021 who was the sweetest girl. And all my friends' silkies are so friendly. I think silkies are usually very docile, calm, and loving. Little bantam breeds like d'uccles are very curious, and friendly, but also have a tendency to be shy and nervous. Big fluffy breeds like Orpingtons and Cochins are very outgoing and sweet. Breeds like leghorns are very flighty.

I've owned multiple of all these breeds and many with multiple varieties: Silkies, Australorps, Easter Eggers, Rhodebars, Legbars, Marans, Brahmas, standard and one bantam English Orpingtons, standard and bantam Plymouth Rocks, Polish, heritage rose comb Rhode Island Reds, Javas, Schijndelaars, and a single Deathlayer. I will say: I truly do think variety/line matters in these breeds. It's very interesting raising different varieties of the same breed at once-there are differences in my opinion. Friendly is a bit of a loaded term but here are my standouts:

Most bold and inquisitive: Rhodebars and potentially Schijndelaars (mine are quite young now so I need to see how they pan out long run)

Most gentle and loving: English Orpingtons both bantam and standard and Brahmas

Most easily handled (i.e. gentle when held and picked up even when they don't necessarily want to be): Bantam Plymouth Rocks and Brahmas

Overall Brahmas are probably the most conventionally friendly but definitely don't disregard Rhodebars, Schjndelaars, English Orpingtons, or Bantam Plymouth Rocks. :) It's all about what you want in a friendly bird I suppose!

My d'uccle lets me put a harness on her easily. Never had lick with my silkies!

Attachments

• 20220516_161705_HDR.jpg
    20220516_161705_HDR.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 9
Silkies ,
I raise silkies now . They are inquisitive sweet birds . Mine seek out attention and love to be held . They will come and hop onto your lap and fall asleep. They are so easy going that even the smallest bantams can and will bully them . I regret not getting Silkies sooner.

Definitely NOT Millie Fleur Duccles. I got 3 this year, raised with the assortment of chicks that I bought. I had 5 Blue Cochin Bantams, 3 Millie Fleur Duccles, 1 Silkie, 1 Golden Laced Sebright, and 1 Red Pyle OEGB. The blues are friendly, like walk up to me as soon as they see me. The Duccles all run and scream the moment I look at them wrong. The silkie is pretty friendly, he walks up to the fence and cocks his head when I go out there. The Sebright was OK. Not great, but not bad. I could hold him for as long as I wanted, if I could catch him. The OEGB was skittish. But, since I only had 1, I'm not sure if it was her breed, or her personality.

Back
Top Bottom