BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    The number of stakes you pound in is determinate on the size of the tree and canopy. Small trees get one, larger trees have one every 6-8 feet around the canopy line. We have a lot of very large trees, but luckily the stakes are not expensive. I like that it's not ongoing-during-the-year maintenance that I have to remember to do.

2. dan26552

dan26552 True BYC Addict

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    my dad doesn't like miracle grow cause most of its not organic thats why we used duck water. unfortunately we had to sell the ducks the next year so didnt get any pecans after that

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    .....and Bald Eagles, Osprey.... Everything that is an aerial predator to my birds. I think too it might be wise to watch young chicks around crows.

When we started a new lawn by seed with our new home we left the leaf litter through the year and just mowed over it mulching it with every mowing and the grass took off. After the 2nd or 3rd mowing the pieces of leaves and such were small enough to settle between the blades of grass and weren't so unsightly. Some of my relatives wanted us to "clean" up the yard but I saw that the new little spindles of grass needed something to protect their new fragile root system and something to go into the clay in which they had a tender foot hold. As a result I think we have a pretty nice yard. We don't really pick up the excess grass either unless it looks like a hay field and will smother the grass underneath. It's all good that leaf litter and such going back to replenish the growing vegetation.

4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Mulch is great for trees it can really turn a tree around. Chicken bedding works. Even if it freezes you could mulch now it would give it a head start in the break down before spring...
    Mulch is a key part of the Eco system... The mulch layer is a whole environment that is full of beneficial microbes and bugs that make food for our plants.
    :love mulch

5. dan26552

dan26552 True BYC Addict

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    and as an added benefit mulch keeps annoying weeds away [​IMG]

6. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

gardens and chickens who could resist this thread hi wall :)

7. CherMoz

CherMoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    Hi Amberjem!

8. LordStark

LordStark Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2014
    Australia NSW
    Corn, Tomatoes, Squash, Pumpkins, Chili's, Eggplant and various herbs are all powering along. Even noticed Chilli's had started to form this morning.
    Been mulching and liquid fertilising everything. Plus weekend rain seems to have done wonders.

9. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Nice.

10. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

hi :)
    sighs,.. oh I already cant wait till spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by