BYC Is Against SOPA & PIPA

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

BYC rarely (well... never) takes a position in things like this, but in this case we need to take a stand, and BYC stands against SOPA & PIPA. If passed they could be disastrous for websites and forums like ours.

As stated by Wikipedia:

Quote: Emphases added because that is exactly what applies to us!

BYC is "big enough" to be a target, but small enough not to be able to defend ourselves in a huge battle. BYC is an amazing resource because of our "user contribute content" and we shouldn't be, and can't be expected to police 7,000+ posts per day. Can you imagine the burden that would put on us? We'd definitely have to close our doors!

Call your elected officials and tell them you are their constituent, and you oppose SOPA and PIPA.

NOTE: Wikipedia is shutting down their entire English repository in protest against SOPA & PIPA. We encourage you to go to their site, plug in your zip code and call your local officials and ask that they do NOT support SOPA or PIPA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

You can also sign a petition on Google's site:
    https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

I'll be calling and hope you do to!

-Rob Ludlow, owner of www.BackYardChickens.com

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    5 people like this.
  2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

If you've called, please reply and let us know!

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If I posted my honest feelings on this I would be banned. So I will leave it at I agree! It should never be allowed to happen.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    2 people like this.
  4. cozwurth

cozwurth Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Franklin, VA
    Done, and done. Emails sent.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Contacting our congressmen in our town via FB! That way they can see how many people are against it!

6. jalexartis

jalexartis Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    My blog stands with Wikipedia, WordPress, and many other protesters. Thanks! --jim

7. Kay56

Kay56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    I've contacted via e-mail those in Virginia... Thanks!

8. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I have here in Georgia!

9. chickmama1662

chickmama1662 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have contacted my representatives.

10. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I have sent this email to ever elected official in Kansas and my district!!

"This legislation, which has good although misdirected intentions, can affect many more websites than they initially believe. Smaller websites such as my favorite forum, backyardchickens.com, is a small operation that would never have the personnel to police the over 7000 publicly posted forum responses in a day. While, most posts are not targets, we can’t hold these chicken enthusiasts responsible for the crudeness which are trolls on the internet. I am asking as your constituent that you stand behind the Whitehouse and not support the bill concerning SOPA & PIPA!"

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by