BYC Is Against SOPA & PIPA

SOPA and PIPA are not companies, they are bills. SOPA = Stop Online Piracy Act and PIPA = PROTECT IP = Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act. Yes, they were started with good intentions: prevent online piracy/illegal downloading/stealing copyrighted work. But you're right. The conditions as phrased in the bills would give the government power to shut down any website they chose if it contained stolen copyrighted work. For example, if I were to take a photo off of FeatherSite and post it here (as I do a lot for the breed guessing game and breed ID), if the government decided I was stealing the photo, they could shut BYC down.
Yeah, even though Mr. Koffler (feathersote) wrote out a rough permission statement clearly allowing people like us to do that for non-profit reasons, they would probably flex their power and still decide that we're criminal masterminds. 'Egad!!!! You, {gasp}, actually... saved a picture onto your computer!!!! Get out of my house now!'

Oh, and OldGuy, yes, it's very fortunate that providence has prevented the Holy Scriptures from being copyrighted.

Last edited:
No Law to Affect the Internet unless Passed by End Users Only

The Internet is the only real freedom we have today. I think any law pertinent to the Internet should be passed by the end users only. No government or politicians allowed except as an end user and with no more power than any end user has.

Internet people are so helpful to each other. Through the internet, we have unlimited access to knowledge and exploration. That is a powerful tool for us to have. I'm not sure they can take that away from us without considerable problems on their part.

I do think they need some regulations to stop some people from stealing others property. These law were not the right laws, but something does need to be done.

frow.gif

I do think they need some regulations to stop some people from stealing others property. These law were not the right laws, but something does need to be done.

We the People...

When I was a very young man I had the opportunity to read the actual wording of several pieces of legislation that had been introduced. The thing about them that has had a lasting and profound effect on how I view my legislators is the following bit of boilerplate that each and every one began with:

"Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois, represented in the General Assembly"

Huh? What? Wait a minute. Let's read that again!

"Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois, represented in the General Assembly"

This isn't "they" doing this. It's US! They are doing this in our name, and at least supposedly with our approval.

Later in life, while in US Navy boot camp an officer from JAG came to explain to us what our duties, obligations and rights were under the Articles of Enlistment. One thing he said got my attention, "There is one order that no one may give you and if they do you have the right to refuse. No one in this man's Navy can order you to sign your name." When he asked if there where any questions I was the first on my feet. "Sir," I asked, "I can be ordered to commit suicide and that I have to obey, but I can't be ordered to sign my name?"

"That's correct, sailor!"

Perhaps we all need to pay more attention to what is being done in our name.

We the People...
When I was a very young man I had the opportunity to read the actual wording of several pieces of legislation that had been introduced. The thing about them that has had a lasting and profound effect on how I view my legislators is the following bit of boilerplate that each and every one began with:
Huh? What? Wait a minute. Let's read that again!
This isn't "they" doing this. It's US! They are doing this in our name, and at least supposedly with our approval.
Later in life, while in US Navy boot camp an officer from JAG came to explain to us what our duties, obligations and rights were under the Articles of Enlistment. One thing he said got my attention, "There is one order that no one may give you and if they do you have the right to refuse. No one in this man's Navy can order you to sign your name." When he asked if there where any questions I was the first on my feet. "Sir," I asked, "I can be ordered to commit suicide and that I have to obey, but I can't be ordered to sign my name?"
"That's correct, sailor!"
Perhaps we all need to pay more attention to what is being done in our name.
Well as i said the laws that were being considered were not well written. But don't you think something needs to be done ?

frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom