BYC KNITTING CLUB

Pics
Quote:
Yes, that's pretty much what I was thinking so if you could copy that, I'd appreciate it! I did find and start this one:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevsbasichat.html

But I think I'm using the wrong kind of yarn. I'm going to run to the store today and pick up a 3 oz solid color. Is 3 oz the correct/normal yarn to use for a hat? I've only ever made afghans/throws and scarves so all I have on hand is the softer/fuzzier variegated yarn. I find it hard to work with which is probably why I knit so slow.

Question though - the pattern said to cast on 80 (I did 90) then k2, p2, k2 ending with a p2. When I counted it out, stitches 89 and 90 would have been k2 so I casted on two more so I ended with p2. Should I have done k2, p2, k2 then p4 at the end of the row? Confused...

1mommahen, I did check out that site previously but all I found were links to other sites and alot of pop-ups. Maybe I was in the wrong section?

The number to cast on will depend on the size of the yarn ... you will have to cast on more of a baby weight yarn and less for a bulky yarn.

90 seems like a whole lot, I normally make hats from a heavy worsted weight (my hand spun) and will cast on about 50.

Ravelry is a wonderful resource!!

Those extra two stitches, I'd purl the first one together with the last purl stitch, and knit the 2nd one with the first knit stitch.

I'll go check that site out again now. I must have been in the wrong section. I think I understand what you're saying - just do two stitches together somewhere along the way to end up with two purls at the end, right? That's why I did 92 because if I started with a k2 and only did 90, I would have ended with k2.

Hello, I would like to join this club if it is o.k. I am Acre of Blessings middle DD and I love to knit. I have found that it is the only thing that my Mom can't do. Lol. I knitted a neck scarf for my older sister &my Dad for CHRISTmas, & they both loved them. I am working on one for my Mom right now... she told me to take my time.

I will keep an eye on this thread for future reference and I pray that I can glean a lot of info from all of you crafty ladies. My Mom has told me so much about you all, lol, don't worry... It's all been good so far
smile.png

I am not allowed to do any swapping (Mom's rules) but I would love any help or patterns that you may have and can share.

You all have a wonderful day.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
!!! Glad to have you!!! I'm VERY new at knitting and really trying hard to learn. For once I'd like to finish a project that I start
th.gif

I just joined ravelry and I definitely was in the wrong spot last time - none of this looks familiar. I joined as Lilralphieroosmom.

Beginning knitter here.... is there such a pattern for super easy 2 needle gloves?? i have found them for mittens, but wanted gloves...thanks!!

I've found two easy patterns for knitting hats and am really enjoying it! Unfortunately the three I've made for DBF have issues. The first one I made was too big; the second one (out of acrylic yarn) makes him itch when he sweats and it stretched out. I made the third out of Patons 100% lamb's wool and after a day or two of wearing, it stretched out of shape too. They fit fine when he first puts them on but they won't retain their shape. Could it be because I knit tight? I just started another and am trying really hard to knit looser.

Quote:
Hi LilRalphieRoosmama.
When we knit anything that we want to "fit" ourselves or someone else, gauge is essential.
smile.png

Here are some things to check:
1. what is the gauge of the pattern you are using? How many stitches and rows to 4 inches?

2. What gauge of yarn are they suggesting you use? What size needles?

3. What is the finished size? For a hat we need to know two measurements, first the circumference around the head, second the distance from top of head down the side to just below the ear.
3. What is the gauge of the yarn you chose to knit with? What size needles?

Typically when a knitter 'knits too tightly' it will make the finished item slightly smaller and the converse for those that 'knit too loosely' the items will be slightly larger.

Basically, you need to get the same gauge as the pattern calls for. This begins with using the same gauge of yarn (not necessarily the same yarn as specified in the pattern materials list) Then you knit a gauge swatch about 5 inches by 5 inches and measure to see if you get the same 'gauge' or number of stitches per inch as that listed in the pattern. Sometimes you will need to go down 1 size in needle or up a size. But whatever it takes you will need to get the same number of stitches as the pattern calls for using a similar size yarn.

If you have done all of that and the hat still doesn't fit, PM me. When I design and make hats I also take in to account the amount of stretch the swatched fabric yields. If the fabric is very stretchy I will make it smaller around because I know that the knitted fabric will stretch x number of inches. It the fabric is very stiff and doesn't stretch much I usually make the hat a little larger to account for the lack of stretch.

If I've confused you with this information and you want to talk on the phone or need more clarity, just PM me.

I'm happy to help you however I can
wink.png

Quote:
Hi artsyrobin:
I have not come across a pattern to knit gloves, flat on two needles. I think the reason for this is the small cylinders that the fingers go into would be difficult to make or bulky to wear if knit flat.

There is a beginner pattern for mittens that are knit flat in the book First Knits projects for beginning knitters by Luise Roberts and Kate Haxell on page 72. This is a good book for beginner knitters, I recommend it all the time to my students. The projects are easy to knit and contemporary in style. There are some lovely projects including a sweater and the cutest little bunny ever.

I hope this helps,
Posey;)

Quote:
Hi LilRalphieRoosmama.
When we knit anything that we want to "fit" ourselves or someone else, gauge is essential.
smile.png

Here are some things to check:
1. what is the gauge of the pattern you are using? How many stitches and rows to 4 inches?

2. What gauge of yarn are they suggesting you use? What size needles?

3. What is the finished size? For a hat we need to know two measurements, first the circumference around the head, second the distance from top of head down the side to just below the ear.
3. What is the gauge of the yarn you chose to knit with? What size needles?

Typically when a knitter 'knits too tightly' it will make the finished item slightly smaller and the converse for those that 'knit too loosely' the items will be slightly larger.

Basically, you need to get the same gauge as the pattern calls for. This begins with using the same gauge of yarn (not necessarily the same yarn as specified in the pattern materials list) Then you knit a gauge swatch about 5 inches by 5 inches and measure to see if you get the same 'gauge' or number of stitches per inch as that listed in the pattern. Sometimes you will need to go down 1 size in needle or up a size. But whatever it takes you will need to get the same number of stitches as the pattern calls for using a similar size yarn.

If you have done all of that and the hat still doesn't fit, PM me. When I design and make hats I also take in to account the amount of stretch the swatched fabric yields. If the fabric is very stretchy I will make it smaller around because I know that the knitted fabric will stretch x number of inches. It the fabric is very stiff and doesn't stretch much I usually make the hat a little larger to account for the lack of stretch.

If I've confused you with this information and you want to talk on the phone or need more clarity, just PM me.

I'm happy to help you however I can
wink.png

Thank you so much! I'm having a very difficult time understanding the whole gauge thing.

The pattern calls for 18 stitches to 4 inches on 4.75mm needles and fits a circumference of 23". I didn't knit a swatch
sad.png
I am using 5mm (size 8) needles. Went a little bigger because I knit tighter. The pattern called for Red Heart Comfort, 100% acrylic thick worsted weight and to cast on 100. I did use Red Heart 100% acrylic but it was the worsted medium weight. This yarn called for size 8 needles and 17 stitches to a 4x4 swatch. I did co 100 for the first hat and it turned out way too big (need a circumference of 23.5"). I used exactly the same pattern and yarn for the second hat but casted on 80. It fit perfectly and wasn't too tight but then it stretched out of shape. I tried a third hat following the same pattern with the same size 8 needles but used the Patons classic wool yarn, also medium weight and casted on 80 again. This yarn called for size 7 needles, 20 stitches to a 4x4 swatch. Again it fit perfectly but stretched out of shape. I thought I was compensating appropriately for the type of yarn and needle size but something is definitely wrong. I don't have any of the hats here with me to count the stitches but I will do that when I get over to his house to get a better idea.

Back
Top Bottom