BYC Member Interview - Dr Evy

@Dr Evy

Come say hello to Evy! She's been a member since April 2021 and comes to us from Minnesota.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself. And is there a story behind your member name?
Hi guys, you all know me as Dr Evy, but at home Iā€™m Evy (pronounced Eh-vee if anyone was wondering) or Evelyn.
Iā€™m a student working hard towards my dreams of becoming a veterinarian. I live with my parents and my three siblings in central Minnesota. I have two brothers and one sister and Iā€™m the third child. My family and I are Christians.
Iā€™m a very outdoorsy person. Really our whole family is super outdoorsy, but I win for being the most lol. I love all things where I can be out in nature, but I prefer to do things that give me physical activity too. So hiking, kayaking, and camping (we do canoe camping) are my main go-toā€™s for when I want to get out. I do occasionally enjoy fishing too.
Iā€™m also really into nature photography. Mostly wildlife. But if I were to show you all my photos Iā€™ve taken, it would mostly be pictures of birds. Bird are my favorite animal, and no matter how hard I try to take pictures of other things I still always get more bird pictures.
I posted some of my pictures on the wildlife photography thread if you want to see some of my photography!
Another thing Iā€™ve pretty recently gotten into is gardening. Iā€™m still not great at it, but Iā€™m learning lol. The gardeners of BYC have helped me with my gardening skills. I just recently had to do ā€œplant surgeryā€ to remove some grubs. If someone on BYC didnā€™t help me know that was what was going on the grubs probably wouldā€™ve killed my plants.

There is kind of a story behind my member name: Like I mentioned earlier when Iā€™m older I plan to be a veterinarian. So since a veterinarian is an animal doctor I thought, ā€œDr Evyā€. I probably shouldā€™ve taken into consideration that people would genuinely think I was a real doctor. My bad!

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens? (or any other poultry you have)
I actually started with ducks. I grew up in northern Indiana where we had a big property with water on it. In 2012 my parents decided to buy a dozen ducklings for my siblings and me to raise. Iā€™m not sure why exactly they decided they wanted ducks, but Iā€™m glad they did. I loved those ducks so much, and I wish we couldā€™ve taken them with us to Minnesota.
View attachment 3213158 View attachment 3213159
(Pictures of me and my ducks ^)

On Christmas of 2020 my parents got me an egg incubator as my present, and in February of 2021 I had plans to hatch some chicken eggs. We werenā€™t prepared to have chickens of our own, and really my parents didnā€™t want any yet. They got me the incubator because my school curriculum wanted me to hatch chicken eggs. I didnā€™t know that I would fall so in love with chickens. Unfortunately the plan had already been set, the chicks that hatched were to go to a friendā€™s farm.
I started with a dozen eggs, they were supposed to be GLW, SLW, and white Wyandotte eggs. (I say supposed to be because the ā€œwhite Wyandotteā€ that hatched didnā€™t really look like a white Wyandotte).
8 eggs started developing and all 8 eggs hatched. One chick died very soon after hatching and one died when he was a couple weeks old. I raised those chicks until they were about 8 weeks old, then I brought five of them to my friendā€™s farm.
View attachment 3213163

Thatā€™s how I got into chickens. But technically at the moment, I do not have my own chickens. My plan is to get my own this fall if I can get the coop built first.

3. Which aspects of poultry keeping do you enjoy the most?
Like everyone, I enjoy the fresh eggs. But I also enjoy the companionship. Itā€™s so cool how each chicken is unique, not only in the way they look but in their different personalities. I love the way you can bond to a chicken and a chicken to you. Theyā€™re such sweet and silly creatures.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?
Thereā€™s two chicks I will never forget. Pip and Ozzy. Those two were my little buddies, I miss them so much. Pip is a ā€œwhite Wyandotteā€ and Ozzy is a Golden laced Wyandotte.
Pip was just a crazy little girl. She had the most rambunctious personality. Thatā€™s what stood out to me for her. Her personality actually made me think she was a cockerel at first, but she ended up being a pullet.
Pip and I really bonded. She along with Ozzy both hatched with splayed legs and bad curled toes, so the two of them were quarantined together while I treated them for that. But since those two were alone I spent a lot of time with them. Pip would follow me everywhere, I always had to be careful when I was walking around with her out because she was always right at my heels. And if I would walk away from her too fast she would do a little jump and then run/hop while flapping her wings as fast as she could towards me.
View attachment 3213166
View attachment 3213168
Pip ^

Ozzy is special to me in a different way. He was so sweet and docile. He loved being held and he would always fall asleep in my hand. He loved me and I loved him. When he was only a week or two old he developed what I thought to be a slipped tendon. (Another chick actually developed one too but he sadly passed away). Even through my best efforts, I was unable to fix his leg. I made the decision to not cull him, and give him a chance at life.
View attachment 3213171
(Ozzy during his treatment^)
So I went to Home Depot, and I got the supplies to build him a chicken wheelchair. (The look on the Home Depot workerā€™s face when I told him what I was doing was priceless).
View attachment 3213174
But I knew I couldnā€™t keep Ozzy because he was a cockerel and Iā€™m unable to keep them where I live. So after searching for a while, I found somebody who was willing to take him in. She was a nice lady who lived on a hobby farm, and although she had never kept a handicapped chicken she was willing to try. I havenā€™t heard from her in a while, but I still like to believe Ozzy is doing well. Hereā€™s a picture she sent me of Ozzy and his new best friend.
View attachment 3213175
And hereā€™s pictures of Pip & Ozzy
View attachment 3213177
View attachment 3213178

5. What was the funniest poultry related thing that has happened to you in your years as an owner?
Honestly since I didnā€™t have chickens very long, this is the funniest thing I have.
View attachment 3213179
This. Just this picture. The angriest looking chick ever :gig

6. Beside poultry, what other pets do you keep?
I have two dogs. My 9 year old dog Sweety, and my 10 month old puppy Romeo.
Sweety is a mutt. Maybe Shih tzu x Maltese? My grandfather brought her to me from the Philippines.
Romeo is a bordoodle (border collie x poodle)
View attachment 3213180
Sweety ^

View attachment 3213182
Romeo ^

I also have my two year old pineapple green cheeked conure, Ruby.
View attachment 3213183

I also keep fish. Hereā€™s my betta, Quinten.
View attachment 3213184

And I have three turtles. Scooter, Rocco, and Gabriel. Rocco and Gabriel are painted turtles and Scooter is a red eared slider. They live outside in a large pond my brother and I built this summer.
View attachment 3213185
Rocco ^

Then my brother has a bearded dragon, Ziggy.
View attachment 3213187

And my sisterā€™s cat, Ivy.
View attachment 3213189

7. Anything you'd like to add?
I want to thank everyone on BYC! Not just for reading this, but for helping me through my journey, and teaching me everything I need to know about chickens. Looking back now, Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t keep the chicks I hatched because I wasnā€™t ready. But you guys have helped my learn how to properly care for chickens, and now Iā€™m really ready to keep my own.

@Dr Evy

For more information about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:

introducing-vip-member-interviews.905602
Awww Evy I love Sweety! He's dumb!
Keep taking pictures you are very good at it.

Thanks for sharing with us!

@Dr Evy

Come say hello to Evy! She's been a member since April 2021 and comes to us from Minnesota.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself. And is there a story behind your member name?
Hi guys, you all know me as Dr Evy, but at home Iā€™m Evy (pronounced Eh-vee if anyone was wondering) or Evelyn.
Iā€™m a student working hard towards my dreams of becoming a veterinarian. I live with my parents and my three siblings in central Minnesota. I have two brothers and one sister and Iā€™m the third child. My family and I are Christians.
Iā€™m a very outdoorsy person. Really our whole family is super outdoorsy, but I win for being the most lol. I love all things where I can be out in nature, but I prefer to do things that give me physical activity too. So hiking, kayaking, and camping (we do canoe camping) are my main go-toā€™s for when I want to get out. I do occasionally enjoy fishing too.
Iā€™m also really into nature photography. Mostly wildlife. But if I were to show you all my photos Iā€™ve taken, it would mostly be pictures of birds. Bird are my favorite animal, and no matter how hard I try to take pictures of other things I still always get more bird pictures.
I posted some of my pictures on the wildlife photography thread if you want to see some of my photography!
Another thing Iā€™ve pretty recently gotten into is gardening. Iā€™m still not great at it, but Iā€™m learning lol. The gardeners of BYC have helped me with my gardening skills. I just recently had to do ā€œplant surgeryā€ to remove some grubs. If someone on BYC didnā€™t help me know that was what was going on the grubs probably wouldā€™ve killed my plants.

There is kind of a story behind my member name: Like I mentioned earlier when Iā€™m older I plan to be a veterinarian. So since a veterinarian is an animal doctor I thought, ā€œDr Evyā€. I probably shouldā€™ve taken into consideration that people would genuinely think I was a real doctor. My bad!

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens? (or any other poultry you have)
I actually started with ducks. I grew up in northern Indiana where we had a big property with water on it. In 2012 my parents decided to buy a dozen ducklings for my siblings and me to raise. Iā€™m not sure why exactly they decided they wanted ducks, but Iā€™m glad they did. I loved those ducks so much, and I wish we couldā€™ve taken them with us to Minnesota.
View attachment 3213158 View attachment 3213159
(Pictures of me and my ducks ^)

On Christmas of 2020 my parents got me an egg incubator as my present, and in February of 2021 I had plans to hatch some chicken eggs. We werenā€™t prepared to have chickens of our own, and really my parents didnā€™t want any yet. They got me the incubator because my school curriculum wanted me to hatch chicken eggs. I didnā€™t know that I would fall so in love with chickens. Unfortunately the plan had already been set, the chicks that hatched were to go to a friendā€™s farm.
I started with a dozen eggs, they were supposed to be GLW, SLW, and white Wyandotte eggs. (I say supposed to be because the ā€œwhite Wyandotteā€ that hatched didnā€™t really look like a white Wyandotte).
8 eggs started developing and all 8 eggs hatched. One chick died very soon after hatching and one died when he was a couple weeks old. I raised those chicks until they were about 8 weeks old, then I brought five of them to my friendā€™s farm.
View attachment 3213163

Thatā€™s how I got into chickens. But technically at the moment, I do not have my own chickens. My plan is to get my own this fall if I can get the coop built first.

3. Which aspects of poultry keeping do you enjoy the most?
Like everyone, I enjoy the fresh eggs. But I also enjoy the companionship. Itā€™s so cool how each chicken is unique, not only in the way they look but in their different personalities. I love the way you can bond to a chicken and a chicken to you. Theyā€™re such sweet and silly creatures.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?
Thereā€™s two chicks I will never forget. Pip and Ozzy. Those two were my little buddies, I miss them so much. Pip is a ā€œwhite Wyandotteā€ and Ozzy is a Golden laced Wyandotte.
Pip was just a crazy little girl. She had the most rambunctious personality. Thatā€™s what stood out to me for her. Her personality actually made me think she was a cockerel at first, but she ended up being a pullet.
Pip and I really bonded. She along with Ozzy both hatched with splayed legs and bad curled toes, so the two of them were quarantined together while I treated them for that. But since those two were alone I spent a lot of time with them. Pip would follow me everywhere, I always had to be careful when I was walking around with her out because she was always right at my heels. And if I would walk away from her too fast she would do a little jump and then run/hop while flapping her wings as fast as she could towards me.
View attachment 3213166
View attachment 3213168
Pip ^

Ozzy is special to me in a different way. He was so sweet and docile. He loved being held and he would always fall asleep in my hand. He loved me and I loved him. When he was only a week or two old he developed what I thought to be a slipped tendon. (Another chick actually developed one too but he sadly passed away). Even through my best efforts, I was unable to fix his leg. I made the decision to not cull him, and give him a chance at life.
View attachment 3213171
(Ozzy during his treatment^)
So I went to Home Depot, and I got the supplies to build him a chicken wheelchair. (The look on the Home Depot workerā€™s face when I told him what I was doing was priceless).
View attachment 3213174
But I knew I couldnā€™t keep Ozzy because he was a cockerel and Iā€™m unable to keep them where I live. So after searching for a while, I found somebody who was willing to take him in. She was a nice lady who lived on a hobby farm, and although she had never kept a handicapped chicken she was willing to try. I havenā€™t heard from her in a while, but I still like to believe Ozzy is doing well. Hereā€™s a picture she sent me of Ozzy and his new best friend.
View attachment 3213175
And hereā€™s pictures of Pip & Ozzy
View attachment 3213177
View attachment 3213178

5. What was the funniest poultry related thing that has happened to you in your years as an owner?
Honestly since I didnā€™t have chickens very long, this is the funniest thing I have.
View attachment 3213179
This. Just this picture. The angriest looking chick ever :gig

6. Beside poultry, what other pets do you keep?
I have two dogs. My 9 year old dog Sweety, and my 10 month old puppy Romeo.
Sweety is a mutt. Maybe Shih tzu x Maltese? My grandfather brought her to me from the Philippines.
Romeo is a bordoodle (border collie x poodle)
View attachment 3213180
Sweety ^

View attachment 3213182
Romeo ^

I also have my two year old pineapple green cheeked conure, Ruby.
View attachment 3213183

I also keep fish. Hereā€™s my betta, Quinten.
View attachment 3213184

And I have three turtles. Scooter, Rocco, and Gabriel. Rocco and Gabriel are painted turtles and Scooter is a red eared slider. They live outside in a large pond my brother and I built this summer.
View attachment 3213185
Rocco ^

Then my brother has a bearded dragon, Ziggy.
View attachment 3213187

And my sisterā€™s cat, Ivy.
View attachment 3213189

7. Anything you'd like to add?
I want to thank everyone on BYC! Not just for reading this, but for helping me through my journey, and teaching me everything I need to know about chickens. Looking back now, Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t keep the chicks I hatched because I wasnā€™t ready. But you guys have helped my learn how to properly care for chickens, and now Iā€™m really ready to keep my own.

@Dr Evy

For more information about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews:

introducing-vip-member-interviews.905602
It was nice to read your interview, thank you for sharing šŸ’œ You have a lot of adventures on your fingertips and you have a great eye for photography! Love the pictures.

standing ovation clap GIF

Back
Top Bottom