BYC Member Interview - granny hatchet

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Pamela, known to BYC members as granny hatchet has been a member of our community since September 2013. One of our fun-to-have-around members, she most will most often be found in her grannys gone and done it thread.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself

Hi, my name is Pamela and I am a chickenholic.

I am a wife, mother of 2 and grandmother of 6. I have been fascinated with our feathered friends most of my 52 years. I love keeping busy and doing everything the hard way. My husband is 25 years my senior (no he's not rich) no life insurance, no banana peels. I had my daughter when I was 17 (so we could grow up together) and my son when I was 30. (So he could push the wheel chair). Grandchildren all by my daughter and all boys. The 6 Ks. Kristopher, Konner, Kayden, Keller, Keegan and Kolten. And they expect me to memorize that!

And the source of all these beautiful brats

My little boy...

and my banana er husband...

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?

I had chickens when I was a little and lived in my home state KY. I was at my aunt's house and she took me to the barn to watch some hatching. I was hooked. She put one in my hand and sent me on my way. I ran home with that tiny ball of fluff in my hands and I don't think I set her down 'til she was feathered. My mother was a very understanding woman. Many years later and now living in Indiana, I am taking care of my mother now and she wants to hear a rooster crow. She misses it. That was 11 years ago and well, chicken math. My mom has been gone since may of 2014 but her roosters carries on.

3. Which aspect(s) of chicken keeping do you enjoy the most?

This one's easy. New life. There's nothing else like it in the world. That feeling when their hard work is done and they wobble their little head up and stare you in the eye. That fleeting second of guilt that maybe they should be looking at their mamas then the realization that they are.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?

I was given a beautiful tolbunt frizzed rooster from a member on here, all the way from sunny California. She paid for shipping as well. I guess I had never knew how generous people can be. I loved that guy. Unfortunately he became ill after he got here. I worked with him for months. I just couldnt give up. I felt terrible. He would get better then sick again. The time he was well I introduced him to the flock. He was terrified of them! They would squat and he would run. He did however seem to get along VERY well with a different rooster. He was afraid of heights and hens. I spent hours watching his antics. He became ill yet again and I turned to My friends on BYC for help. They were here for me every step of the way and despite everything the time came to say goodbye. They also helped me though that very difficult time so I have to say, my flock here, on BYC stands out the most for me.

5. What was the funniest (chicken related) thing(s) that happened to you in your years as chicken owner?

If it can, I will. This is my mantra. So many things happen around here, so I asked my friends on my thread grannys gone and done it, and this is one of their suggestions from previous posts:

I have 3 barn cats, one of them a sneaky little Siamese. I was in the barn feeding the chicks (where i found my dead EEs a week ago) and the cat was rubbing up against my legs. Absent minded as normal, I reached down to pet him only it was NOT him. Yup, a possum! Right between my legs
ep.gif
For once I just wish something like that would happen when I dont have eggs in my hand. As I was giving the first one's eggs back, I got attacked by them both! With only one finger bleeding and my pride in the dirt I came back in the house. Worries of wild animals long gone. It was everything I expected and more!
lau.gif

6. Beside chickens, what other pets do you keep?

I have one duck. Her name is Flo. She lives with the chickens and is boss. She is terrified of me and the feeling is mutual.

I have 3 dogs (for now) 2 inside cats and 3 barn cats. They are all fixed. The outside cats are great hunters and the inside cats are great umm.. cats.

7. Anything you'd like to add?

Yes, there is! I have been giving a second chance. 2 Hens and a rooster. Not the best picture but you get the idea...

THANK YOU BYC!! I said it on my 100th post, my 1000th post and its still true, I am home
love.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/240746/granny-hatchet

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30

Thank you
bow.gif
#5 is actually parts of 3 different storys . as my friends on my post know , Im not real good with putting commas where they belong. So if it makes no sense to you that would be why...
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom